I.T vet year 11 student, need advice (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hello, i just started Yr 11 and i haven't picked IT VET yet, but i don't know if i want too, i'm a bit confused and would really appreciate some help on these questions.

1. Does all tests and works etc. count toward the 50% for your ATAR like the A subjects?
2. You can do the optional HSC Exam and it goes toward your ATAR right, but would it be high marks like normal A subjects?
3. Would you be scaled down because you do VET and can you get Band 6?

Thank guys!

Gigacube

HSC
1. No. The marks for your HSC for IT come 100% from your HSC exam. No 50, 50. Just one exam.

2. Yes you can do the optional exam but at most schools they'll sign you up for it unless you tell them you don't want to sit the exam.
What do you mean by high marks? And what is your definition of high marks? It's possible to get a band 6 in every single subject.

3. Don't pick a subject by how well or not it scales. If you're already good at computers then you should do fine in IT. Yes as said above it is possible to get a band in every subject.

You should really be asking your careers advisor or your VET coordinator these questions. Why don't you want to do IT VET? It's good if you want a career in IT because it includes work placement.

HSC
but when they scale you down doesn't it affect your ATAR a lot? i mean i want 90+ is that possible with

EngSTD-2UMTH-PHYS-IPT-ITVET-BUSINESS

Thanks

HSC
especially since i'm already in a bad school

Gigacube

HSC
but when they scale you down doesn't it affect your ATAR a lot? i mean i want 90+ is that possible with

EngSTD-2UMTH-PHYS-IPT-ITVET-BUSINESS

Thanks
Any ATAR is possible with any combo of subjects. I'm sure you've seen that around BoS before. It's hard to achieve a band 6 in English Standard due to the aligning. Some subjects may pull your mark down by one or two. You may have to work hard in IPT. It just depends how you do with your other subjects.

This isn't 100% accurate (no ATAR calculators are) but it gives you an idea of what marks you need to achieve. It's the Talent 100 HSC ATAR Calculator. I've taken a screenshot for you which you can view here. If you get get in the high 80's & above I think you'll be able to get an ATAR of 90+. You should probably check with someone else about this too.

especially since i'm already in a bad school
What rank is your school? If you can come first in your school then it doesn't matter as much.

What do you want to study at Uni?

HSC
In the screenshot you showed me all the marks are like 85+ is it because IT VET is pulling me down and i need to get extra high to get 90+ ATAR?

Gigacube

HSC
IPT is pulling you down just a bit more than IT VET is but this could change when you do the HSC. Remember that's only the same scaled mark for each subject. If you do really well in Physics you'll most likely get scaled up & then you may not have to get around 88 for IT. I think that with most combos of subjects you're going to need to get a few 85+ to get an ATAR of 90+.

You didn't answer my 2 questions:
What rank is your school? If you can come first in your school then it doesn't matter as much.
What do you want to study at Uni?

MrBrightside

Brightest Member
HSC
N/A
1. No. The marks for your HSC for IT come 100% from your HSC exam. No 50, 50. Just one exam.

2. Yes you can do the optional exam but at most schools they'll sign you up for it unless you tell them you don't want to sit the exam.
What do you mean by high marks? And what is your definition of high marks? It's possible to get a band 6 in every single subject.

3. Don't pick a subject by how well or not it scales. If you're already good at computers then you should do fine in IT. Yes as said above it is possible to get a band in every subject.

You should really be asking your careers advisor or your VET coordinator these questions. Why don't you want to do IT VET? It's good if you want a career in IT because it includes work placement.
this.

taylorj

HSC
I agree with the others, don't pick a subject just because of the scaling. You might do a subject with great scaling and a subject with very poor scaling; it doesn't mean the higher scaling course will benefit your ATAR, it all comes down to how well you do in the course.

The fact that the IT exam counts for 100% of the course can be both a good or a bad thing. It means that earlier in the year you don't have to worry about your in-class assessments for IT counting towards your HSC, allowing you to concentrate harder in acing your school assessments for other subjects . However, the reverse of that is that your entire result for IT rests on your performance in the final exam, so if you're sick or don't understand the essay style question at the end, it will greatly inpact your result for that subject.

It is very possible to get a Band 6 in the subject as with any subject. I completed the course in 2010 and my mark was 96, 2nd in the state. There will always be people who get Band 6's in subjects, it's never impossible.

Hope this helps you a bit. =]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)