• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

i want to learn self-defence/martial arts.. (1 Viewer)

rnitya_25

Abhishek's Rani..
HSC
hey,

after i finish my hsc, i really really want to learn martial arts/taekwondo/self-defence.. ...whichever it is. i want to learn some type of self-defence. anyone know where i can learn? somewhere close to blacktown of parra, anywhere around there...?!

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
what do u want to learn it for? self-defence? to get fit? or just something to do as a hobby?

ioniser

HSC
as your a girl i don't suggest you do tae kwon do that tends to be focussed more on who has better strength rather than actual strength,you should try kung fu which is more focussed on technique, thus makes it more usefull and it doesn't make you bigger just more flexible with quicker reflex actions,the styles they do in kung fu are sort of like dance moves so you would quite enjoy it,but it looks crazy once you put these dance moves on to someone, i thought it was gay at first but it turns out to be pretty cool

also taekwondo only has on average 2 defence or attack tactics per move and only limited to that area of attack and defence

while on the other hand in kung fu you can use attack and defence with the same move but with taekwondo you cant do that,also for every move of kung fu there are usually about 5-6 tactics where you can actaully use it unlike tae kwon do you could only use your defence or attack on a set move

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
look into wing chun kung fu

It isnt based on brute strength like other matrial arts are and is concentrated on simplistic moves with no sorta fancy kicking or complicated movies. its reasonably inexpensive, easy, fun and is good exercise.

ps. Bruce Lee's famous one inch punch is a wing chun technique :uhhuh:
demonstrated below by master jim fung

http://www.wingchun.com.au/

santaslayer

HSC
mr_brightside said:

It isnt based on brute strength like other matrial arts are and is concentrated on simplistic moves with no sorta fancy kicking or complicated movies. its reasonably inexpensive, easy, fun and is good exercise.

LoLz...the doode that got punched looked like he put in more effort than master jim fung in that screenshot. :p

studynoob

HSC
N/A
i do taekwondo and it isnt based on ur actual strength just ur technique look when i started tkd 3 years ago i was a weak skinny lil shit after 3 years of hard training constant beating from master and bigger opponents i can withstand a hard kick to my body anywhere and i have no fear i can take on a opponent of any size or strength thou ill get my ass kicked! kung fu is a martial art based on self defence in the streets and tkd is full body contact combat fighting!! anyway to the point since ur a girl and i rarely see any good girl fighters in my tkd class if you have the strength and willpower and no fear and capable of learning throughout hard training go for tkd otherwise you can learn karate, kung fu, jituisu, judo, thai kickboxing or some self defence classes in ur gym.

actually tkd isnt some soft boyscout shit i went to korea for a 1 mth in the summer holidays to train tkd and fuck it was fucking hard as hell you have to train everyday for 4 hours and unlike the soft treatment in western countries i witnessed a master beating their learners some ages of five till their nose bled and made them train longer! tkd is some harsh shit!

ioniser

HSC
studynoob said:
i witnessed a master beating their learners some ages of five till their nose bled and made them train longer! tkd is some harsh shit!
you haven t seen anything yet,you should try downloading some of bruce lees and jackie's documentary things, they literally beat them up everyday,i found this other video once and the master got one of those wooden sticks( that are used in kung fu) and just slammed it on the neck where the pressure point was ,damn the kid was about 16 and he just dropped to the floor and you could see blood gushing out of his neck(no he didn't die, he later got up), the camra man then scanned the rest of the class and you could notice there was blood on like all the dudes in the class.The master then walked up to the camraman.............

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
ioniser said:
you haven t seen anything yet,you should try downloading some of bruce lees and jackie's documentary things, they literally beat them up everyday,i found this other video once and the master got one of those wooden sticks( that are used in kung fu) and just slammed it on the neck where the pressure point was ,damn the kid was about 16 and he just dropped to the floor and you could see blood gushing out of his neck(no he didn't die, he later got up), the camra man then scanned the rest of the class and you could notice there was blood on like all the dudes in the class.The master then walked up to the camraman.............
that's pretty stupid on the masters behalf, smashing sticks on ur c7 vertebrae doesnt do jack shit for your conditioning.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
I started doing Tkd when i was about 5/6years old - till about the beginning of this year (so about 11/12 years) and im currently a jnr- Black Belt 1st Dan. Tkd is majority based on self defence and you can learn to react, free yourself, lock, control, etc. As a girl, i find its really enjoyable and its also alllllll about kicks (jump, spin, drop, combo kicks, etc etc) Tkd generally develops your physical strength, balance, great flexibility, speed and stamina, so all really useful in self-defence. But sometimes you have to be quite desciplined because of the preety intensive training and stretching. You also meet heaps of great people on the way.

As far as i know, in Blacktown- theres the headquarters of the Australian Hwarang Taekwondo Academy. Its at 133 Stephen Street, Blacktown. I dnt have a Phone number sorry but a few of my friends do TKD there and its reallly good apparently. They have heaps of locations as well spread out, but luckily for you, their headquarters are Blacktown.

tempco

HSC
mr_brightside said:

yep, i've heard that wing chun is ideal for women, seeing that it doesn't require as much physical strength in comparison to other martial arts.

i've been practicing taekwondo for quite some time, and it's great fun. as for it being practical in terms of self-defence, it gives you good legs to run with.

santaslayer

HSC
LoLz. People who refer the general Chinese Martial art as "KungFu" (Effort) watch too many Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan films. The actual term is "WuShu". (The art of war).

They're trying really hard to get wushu as a sport in the 2008 China Olympic Games (for obvious reasons). The one's which wow audiences are the contempoary style whilst the more 'boring' ones are the traditional styles which are generally easier to apply in real situations.

Wushu is also generally divided into southern and northern styles...

blah blah blah blah....

conclusion: do wushu. lol.

PM if interested.

EDIT: Jet Li did wushu with master wu bin...

jackie chan is a stuntman...lol who also incorporates many wushu principles into his stunts :)

Last edited:

ioniser

HSC
santaslayer said:
LoLz. People who refer the general Chinese Martial art as "KungFu" (Effort) watch too many Bruce Lee/Jackie Chan films. The actual term is "WuShu". (The art of war).

They're trying really hard to get wushu as a sport in the 2008 China Olympic Games (for obvious reasons). The one's which wow audiences are the contempoary style whilst the more 'boring' ones are the traditional styles which are generally easier to apply in real situations.

Wushu is also generally divided into southern and northern styles...

blah blah blah blah....

conclusion: do wushu. lol.

PM if interested.

EDIT: Jet Li did wushu with master wu bin...

jackie chan is a stuntman...lol who also incorporates many wushu principles into his stunts :)

no wushu is what they use in films(stuff you really can't use in a one on one fight,wushu is more the chorographing of fightint in films to make the moves look good)

Jackie chan :he grew up and trained with wing chung kung fu

Bruce lee :did the same but then later on went on to study martial arts at uni and did tae kwon do and a couple of others,he found that the moves in kung fu were really usefull (example 1 move could be used as 6 differnt types of defence and attack,while other martial arts moves lacked this ),when he was doing tae kwon do he found that the moves were really simple and effective .where as kung fu 's moves were really fixed and need to be practiced really hard to become effective

from this he mixed simple tae kwon do moves into the strict moves of kung fu which was easier to learn to create what is now called jet kun do

santaslayer

HSC
ioniser said:
no wushu is what they use in films(stuff you really can't use in a one on one fight,wushu is more the chorographing of fightint in films to make the moves look good)

Jackie chan :he grew up and trained with wing chung kung fu

Bruce lee :did the same but then later on went on to study martial arts at uni and did tae kwon do and a couple of others,he found that the moves in kung fu were really usefull (example 1 move could be used as 6 differnt types of defence and attack,while other martial arts moves lacked this ),when he was doing tae kwon do he found that the moves were really simple and effective .where as kung fu 's moves were really fixed and need to be practiced really hard to become effective

from this he mixed simple tae kwon do moves into the strict moves of kung fu which was easier to learn to create what is now called jet kun do
uhhHmmMm...no

wushu CAN be used for choregraphing...
wushu is the generic term for the chinese martial art...Im pretty sure that Beijing did not want to introduce a choreographic 'sport' into the olympic games.

jacki chan still uses wushu in his choregraphing

bruce lee...i dont understand what ur saying...on one hand kung fu is really "fixed" but then really "easy"...?

Jet Li was 5 times national champion in wushu b4 he started to go into films...
im not too sure if china would hold an annual choreography competition..of that scale...lol

wushu is a martial art
traditional forms are more easily applicable in real situations
contempoary forms still require a degree of skill (in terms of traditional requirements), but is a style that complements a lot of acrobatical movements, mainly adopted from gymnastics. contempoary forms incorporate a lot of twists and turns, a lot of high jumpkicks whilst traditional styles are more focussed on correct stances.

ioniser

HSC
santaslayer said:
bruce lee...i dont understand what ur saying...on one hand kung fu is really "fixed" but then really "easy"...?

In kung fu the moves always end you attacking a very specific spot and pushing in a very specific way(this is what enables you to do it without strength ,just by technique helps you succeed in this sport),where as bruce lee changed this method by allowing you to throw free handed punches( the moves from tae kwon do) which don't require you to push or hit a really specific spot

thus he just integrated tae kwon do into the complex moves of kung fu,the ability to throw free handed punches is what makes it easier to learn.

bruce lees martial art=jet jun do

any way as you going on about wushu,thats more of like just for show right ,you couldnt really use that stuff in a fight could you so its sort of like tai chi ,correct me if i'm wrong?

Last edited:

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
make sure its brazilian jiu jitsu (ground fighting) if you're gonna take it up. the price for classes is a bit dear though.

ioniser

HSC
Bookie said:
What about Ju Jitsu?

Is that good for the larger body type?

thats stuffs pretty cool ,totally different from all the other martial arts,it consists of mainly being really sneaky and high concentration,They have these moves where ,if a person trys to punch or kick you,you make a dive to the floor and roll aorund them and stuff swiftly .it looks pretty cool,and they teach you to really concentrate heaps hard to the point you can sense someone attacking you from behind,example of this is where they will hold up a ninja sword and slice down at you from behind while you just sit there,your defence is to predict when the person is slicing down at you and then roll to the side so that he swings at the floor(obviously takes heaps of training and concentration to master this).its like their 6th sense.This sport will slim you down from all the rolling and stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)