ideas to imp (1 Viewer)

sarah_

alright, in respect to magnetic levitation, can anybody answer the following for me:
explain how superconductors are used to produce the large magnetic fields needed for this operation (i.e. magnetic levitation).

Does the answer incorporate eddy currents and induced magnetic fields and repulsion or am i way off?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
uhm, more like when a conductor is at its super conduction state, if an external B is applied to it, currently will be generated within the conductor to counter act and neutralise the external B, hence creating a repulsion effect... i tend to think...

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
yea but isnt messiner effect the production of a mangetic field in reponding to an external magnetic field to counter act it?? hence the floating phenomonon...???

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
sarah_: i can see your a newbie. but making the title of the thread a little more specific would be nice:)

yes. the meisnerr effect is what xaio said a couple of posts up^^^

btw textbooks have nice diagrams

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
cmon, timmy... sarah is being specific alot already =p comparing to "a report on wut eva asmt =p", she infact pt out the dp - well sorta =p

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
xiao: it was just a suggetsion. i was referring more to the title of the thread thats all

i'm thinking of a writing a thread about how to produce notes. it seems many ppl have problems or are too lazy to do it and get it stickified (like my studying for <insert sci here> threads). should i?

xiao1985

HSC
N/A
soz timmy...i realize taht too... =p

dun wori too much sarah... timmy's a nice guy... ^^

Collin

HSC
N/A
magnetic Levitation/Meszner Effect:

Relative motion of an electric conductor against an external field generates an EMF of exact corresponding electric magnitude (as resistance = 0), which due to Lenz's law generates a magnetic field in a direction to oppose the direction of the external field which produced the EMF which generated the magnetic and these two magnetic fields are exactly equal in magnitude and repulsive, hence levitation is achieved.

Huge magnetic fields are possible because resistance is 0 at superconducting temperatures, massive EMFs are generated by relative motion of the external magnetic field and the conductor.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)