I'm not really sure..... (1 Viewer)

fryfry

Hi, this is my first post!!!
I've only lived in Sydney for a short while and arent quite sure on what a UAI is, I know it's about uni but thas all.

What sort of UAI am i looking at, I do English Adv., Maths Adv., Physics, Biology, IPT and Indonesian.........

Thanks heaps
Luv fryfry

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
A UAI is like a grade, to get into uni. they have certain grades you need to get if you wnat to do that course at uni...l'm not an expert on this UAI stuff, so l think l'll let someone else explain it

Oh and welcome.

Giant Lobster

HSC
Universities Admission Index

Its a rank. Your UAI indicates ur rank relative to the other candidates of the HSC of ur year. Obviously the higher the better. Its based half on how well u do at ur school relative to ur classmates, and half on how well u do in the external exams, relative to how well other ppl in ur subjects do.

Huy

HSC
N/A
It's just a ranking.

From 100.00 down to 50.00? (or was that 30, being ineligible?).
Dropping down by 0.05.

Each 0.05 has about 20-30 kids?
So if you get 100, you'll be the top 22 or so out of 65,000 kids sitting the HSC.

There are plenty of documents/technical papers out there explaining it.

www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au
www.uac.edu.au

You'll find a lot of resources/info there :)
Maybe Lazarus will explain it :)

Misturi

[Studying...]
HSC
no worries, although l don't think l was much help. Any other questions you need answered?

fryfry

ummmm......well, what sort of UAI could i get if i do physics, bio, maths & english adv, IPT and indonesian and i am passing all of them at the moment.....also whats a bad UAI???
Thanx bye

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
um hows this :
if u study ull get a good uai

dot study and ull get shit

:)

Giant Lobster

HSC
no man.

if ur smart, ull get good.
if ur dumb:
>>if u study ull get good
>>if u dont u wont get good.

thats more like it.

o wait, sorry i didnt see the fact that u do ipt and bio. nah sorry u wont get good :p

fryfry

well i'm not going to well in 2u adv maths at the moment should i drop it in yr 12 or get a tutor and keep going...would i be better off keeping it?

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
the lowest UAI u can get is 30... so if you get 30 or under.. your letter will say "you got 30 or lower"

which is rather funnyy ehehee
umm try a tutour... it might help :) because general maths doesnt look really appealing to unis.. esp UNSW and USYD...so yeah ...
depends how well you do in those subjects and how you do well compared to the rest of the state for the uai... as Ryan said :
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
um hows this :
if u study ull get a good uai

dot study and ull get shit

:)
Originally posted by Giant Lobster

o wait, sorry i didnt see the fact that u do ipt and bio. nah sorry u wont get good :p
what the hell is it with you and bio :mad1:

Giant Lobster

HSC
hah yeh im anti-bio and ipt for some reason. excuse me. :)

and as far as admission to any uni is concerned, they dont care what subjects uve done. its just ur loss when the professor starts blahing on somefin that makes u go "wtf?!" so yeh.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The average UAI is around 66.

You generally need 80+ to be competitive for most university courses at the first-tier institutions.

SoFTuaRiaL

Originally posted by jason123321
you should keep at least 2 units of maths and english each
and always good to have a science up your sleeve as it opens up your options for uni
english is compulsory ... and yes, maths is required for MOST courses at uni ... so always have maths n english in ur subjects. abt scence, well, it really depends on whether u'd be interested in a science related course at uni. if u know for sure that u wanna do commerce or something like that, u prolly wont be interested in science

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
The UAI ranks students against their age-cohort (i.e. everyone they completed the SC with two years before). The average/median UAI for that cohort would be 50. For the HSC cohort, it ends up being around 66.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)