• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Immunised? (1 Viewer)

sylvester

People speak of mark allocation and how you can immunise yourself by coming first in a subject...i have come first in 4 of my seven subjects so iam interested in understanding this whole first palce immunisation concept. Can anyone explain?
thanx

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
I doubt that it would mean that no matter what you'll do brilliantly. I think it has to do with your school assessment mark being modulated, since it is done so according to how well everyone did and how far apart they are, and who got what in their hsc. So suppose everyone in your class got 80 in assessment marks (impossible?) and you got 81, and you all are pretty close in the HSC, you'll either... i THINK be moved up ALONG with your class because you're not far apart.

If your class got 40, and you got 80, then you're class, when it becomes modulated, moves you down, and moves the 40's up?

But it's being first that somehow you get modulated up more.... i'm not sure about that last thing I just said here. Lazarus will turn up soon I'm sure.

I'm not sure but the rule (concerning classes) goes:

The better everyone does, the better everyone does.

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
if you come first for the subject, u get the highest aligned hsc mark from any student in ur year for that subject as your ASSESSMENT MARK. You keep the hsc mark you get :)

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
sylvester said:
so iam interested in understanding this whole first palce immunisation concept.
It means that you are guaranteed to have your moderated assessment mark set equal to the top examination mark from your class. :) You are effectively immune to the performance of your classmates - they cannot, for example, 'pull you down'.

If you're also the one who happens to attain that top exam score, then you will have maximised your final HSC mark by having both the top exam mark and the top assessment mark.

(See this thread for more details.)

mishka

HSC
N/A
so if you've come first in assessments, and your exam mark is the highest, say 84 you'll get 84 for assessment and 84 for exam, making the aligned mark 84 as well??

matt_f64

HSC
N/A
so if this is true...... if i get 2nd in every single one of my assessment marks and the marks is 60%, and then i get 2nd in every single exam with 90%, then my assessment mark (moderated) and my exam mark for every subject is 90% ??? cos thatd be so cool for me

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)