iMovie on Windows PC (1 Viewer)

hidemyass

HSC
N/A
Does anyone know how to emulate iMovie in Windows?

I need a good (preferably free) video editing suite for multimedia project! Suggestions please...

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Are you running Windows 7? The Microsoft equivalent of iMovie is called Windows Live Movie Maker and is available for free for Windows 7 and Microsoft Live customers (i.e. anyone who uses MSN/Windows Live Messenger or Hotmail) as part of their Windows Live Essentials pack. Refer to: http://explore.live.com/windows-live-movie-maker-get-started

That being said noone really rates it compared to iMovie but it's the next best thing if you don't have a Mac.

omgshquyen

HSC
N/A
WMM = Crap

The difference between iMovie and WMM imo is that iMovie has more fancy transitions, and a nicer looking UI. If you ask me I hate both of those programs. It's too simple. I've tried using both and compared to Adobe Premiere CS4+, they suck.

If you've used Garage Band before and you are familiar with the overlapping of different layers and timing of music you should be able to use Adobe Premiere easily. You can edit your video more freely, as there is a distinction between the video/audio layers and even add cool animation effects with Adobe After Effects (although I haven't used this properly yet). What WMM/iMovie offers is basic, and depending on what you're editing I'd recommend using Adobe Premiere.

I've heard Sony Vegas is good, but I struggled trying to install it so I don't know what their software is like.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
From experience Sony Vegas is an outstanding piece of software for editing videos. However the rendering times are long. But I think they shortened the rendering times when they released Sony Vegas Pro 11. You can download the 30 day trial here.

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials/vegaspro

It took a good amount of youtube videos for me to get use to it.

addoil

HSC
I used windows movie maker for a video presentation for part of a major project for multimedia.
Won't go through details but just saying, if you don't want to re-do your entire presentation the day before the assessment is due, then don't use WMM

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
The difference between iMovie and WMM imo is that iMovie has more fancy transitions, and a nicer looking UI. If you ask me I hate both of those programs. It's too simple. I've tried using both and compared to Adobe Premiere CS4+, they suck.
Two very different programs there- both in customer target and associated feature set(i.e. mass market/consumers vs. professionals) and price (i.e. free vs. not).

I personally like iMovie for my purposes- I don't do professional video editing, and for the most part over the years, have done minimal (i.e. none) hardcore video editing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)