HSC
Got Prelim Yearly reports back today,
Senior Science: A (rank 2)
PDHPE: A (rank 1)
SOR2: A (rank 2)
English Advanced: A (rank 9)
Economics: A (rank 4)
Maths Advanced: C (rank 30+)

Should I be realistic and drop maths? 80% of my homework time is devoted to it. It has shaped me as a person, love-hate relationship. Is it worth it to continue with it or do I accept the reality that it's wiser to drop it and focus more on the other subjects?

Any feedback is appreciated :p

huuh

HSC
How are you struggling with it? What problems do you have?

bcooz

HSC
Well in maths exams specifically I tend to panic and make silly mistakes- whereas other subjects I don't.
It takes up A LOT of my time.
And maths just doesn't come natural to me I guess...

Besides, do universities really look at whether you've done Advanced or General Maths if your ATAR is high enough?

huuh

HSC
If it's silly mistakes and panicking the only solution that comes to mind is timed papers and proper exam technique. In other words, even more time devoted to maths. And some courses have Maths as assumed knowledge although you can take a bridging course before Uni starts.

Flop21

HSC
Well in maths exams specifically I tend to panic and make silly mistakes- whereas other subjects I don't.
It takes up A LOT of my time.
And maths just doesn't come natural to me I guess...

Besides, do universities really look at whether you've done Advanced or General Maths if your ATAR is high enough?
It doesn't come natural to anyone. Do you think babies pop out and are able to do calculus?

First you have to be taught it, then you have to practice it.

The people that are good at it are not the ones complaining that math takes 80% of their homework time. They just do it. Yeah it will take a lot more time than your other subjects, but that's just what math has always been (at least for me). You don't even need to do homework every day for other subjects, but math is the subject you DO need to do every day, so it makes sense it's taking up most of your 'homework time'.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
What degree are you planning on doing?

Science/Engineering keep two units mathematics.

Previous years cohort performances in the subject.

Individual marks?

Cohort size?

sinophile

HSC
N/A
If:
- Its your suckiest subject
- Its your least enjoyed subject

Then drop it.

T-R-O-L-O-L

TOO GOOD TO BE CLASSIFIED
HSC
drop what you dont like. There are like 50 threads asking the same question, read them and understand what you think. :wavey:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)