Individuals have till August 24th to sign up to vote in the postal plebiscite (1 Viewer)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...l/news-story/394b2887fb55bbceedc06b1ba846e806

Could you provide any cases in countries with legalised gay marriage where churches were forced to marry gay couples?
No, but that would be very extreme and people wouldn't support SSM if that was an obvious effect.

But religious schools are an easier target...
http://www.jpost.com/Diaspora/Briti...osure-for-refusal-to-teach-LGBT-issues-498177

And religious individuals, especially in the US, being sued over politely refusing to provide services to a gay wedding that causes injury/offence to religious beliefs.
(For some it is akin/equivalent to forcing a muslim to eat non-halal food etc.) While the church may be more protected, at this point. But there are definitely concerns raised for those who are not clergy.

Was near a rally, and was interesting how they generalise all those who disagree with SSM, as the same people who opposed indigenious peoples etc (quite a strawman) may I add.

enoilgam

HSC
And religious individuals, especially in the US, being sued over politely refusing to provide services to a gay wedding that causes injury/offence to religious beliefs.
(For some it is akin/equivalent to forcing a muslim to eat non-halal food etc.)
The law will contain religious protections from my understanding (which I do fully agree with). That being said, serving gays is like eating pork for Muslims - really. I guess Jesus only surrounded himself with people who held the highest moral standards of his time, like the pharisees - he certainly didnt cavort with tax collectors and prostitutes. To me, turning people away is not a very Christian thing to do, especially if you believe they are "sinners".

Was near a rally, and was interesting how they generalise all those who disagree with SSM, as the same people who opposed indigenious peoples etc (quite a strawman) may I add.
In their view, they lack full equality before the law, much like many oppressed people from the past. For many gay people, this is about more than marriage, it's about undoing the last piece following years of societal oppression and being told how evil and bad they are.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
In b4 census-like fail

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
The law will contain religious protections from my understanding (which I do fully agree with). That being said, serving gays is like eating pork for Muslims - really. I guess Jesus only surrounded himself with people who held the highest moral standards of his time, like the pharisees - he certainly didnt cavort with tax collectors and prostitutes. To me, turning people away is not a very Christian thing to do, especially if you believe they are "sinners".
Fair enough. For some it is a conscience issue.

In their view, they lack full equality before the law, much like many oppressed people from the past. For many gay people, this is about more than marriage, it's about undoing the last piece following years of societal oppression and being told how evil and bad they are.
Fair enough. Although I don't think for them, it is also enough, at least the voice from them that is being heard.

I am all for them to get equal rights and all that, but surely there could a way of doing that without changing the definition of marriage?

Why not as is already done, celebrate the uniqueness and diversity of LGBTIQ relationships, as it is done at Mardi Gras, as (but not in my view), superior and more better, rather than just simply try to conform it to something which actually has a different role/purpose and function.

Last edited:

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Interesting to note, in France marriage is a state affair not a religious affair.

So many cases of people's partners (as they aren't married) being refused to comfort them during pregnancy/surgary as they aren't classified "kin" so currently people are all "equal" or protected under the law.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)