• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IndoChina (1954-79) Essay Help (1 Viewer)

cheski

HSC
I have recently been given an essay question in which i must respond to in class (45 mins). The essay question being:

Explain the reasons for the failure of the South Vietnamese government to maintain control over its people by 1968.

OR

Evaluate the view that US intervention was primarily responsible for the sufferring of villagers in south vietnam and Cambodia.

I am not sure which question to choose, currently I am leaning towards the second one, but again I say im really not sure.
It would be great if someone could help me by telling me which question would be better and more to write about, along with some points to talk about.

Thankyou, Cheski

benilic

HSC
I would go with the 2nd question because it gives you a much larger scope to work with.

Essentially you can work from as far back into the US intervention; the use of strategic hamlets, WHAM and all the economic and froeign policy regarding vietnam with the diem government (coruption, removal of social and cultural values eg prostitution, drugs culture), right through to the khmer rogue and the consiquences that arose in Cambodia as a result of America withdrawing various supports for the war, the failure of south vietnamese forces with the growing strength of the nth and the inability to win a guerilla war. pretty much you can cover any activity and tactic or strategy employed by american political and military forces and apply how un resolved problems occured, to which had an affect on the sth. i would also put in various mentions to things such as vietnamisation of the Sth (70s), pacification and any general info regarding things such as the viet cong, occupation (1 year of service) etc.

hope that helps.

cheski

HSC
Yeah thanks for that, greatly appreciated. That will get me started, and give me lots to talk about. Any others with suggestions can also add to this thread.

HSC
cheski said:
Yeah thanks for that, greatly appreciated. That will get me started, and give me lots to talk about. Any others with suggestions can also add to this thread.
Choose questio 2, that way you have more to talk about, because you are specfially focusing on one country. Also Us intervention has alot of negative consqences for S.vietnam!
Good Luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)