• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Industrial Production of Ethanol from Sugar Cane (1 Viewer)

ruchikavera

HSC
I know there have been many posts on this but they were all a bit confusing :S So, I'm hoping to clear this up :D

Here's what I've gathered from various sources about the steps, please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • Grains from sugar cane are passed through hammer mills and ground to a fine powder.
  • This meal is sent to a mashing system, where it is mashed together with enzymes and water.
  • This then undergoes hydrolysis (decomposition by water), catalysed by the enzyme, invertase:
    C12H22O11(aq) + H2O(l) --> C6H12O6(aq) + C6H12O6(aq)
    (sucrose) + (water) --> (glucose) + (fructose)
  • The sugars are filtered: the solid residue is continually hydrolysed with more acid until it too has broken down into sugars.
  • Ca(OH)2 is added to the acidic sugar solution (filtrate) to neutralise it.
  • The neutralised sugar solution is filtered to remove the solid residue of CaSO4.
  • Ferment the sugar solution, using enzymes produced by the yeast called zymase, to produce ethanol:
    C6H12O6(aq) ---> 2C2H5OH(aq) + 2CO2(g)
    - Yeast used is Saccharomyces cerevisiae
    - Small amounts of yeast nutrients are added, such as phosphoric acid or urea
    - Mixture is kept at 37 degrees Celsius.
    - Oxygen is excluded
  • Fermented product (6-10% ethanol) is sent to the purification section.
  • Distillation of the ethanol/water produces a higher concentration of ethanol (96%).
  • This is then dehydrated to remove the last water molecules and impurities. After this, the ethanol can be sold commercially.
So, is this all I need in order to address the dot point thoroughly?

madharris

HSC
N/A
It look right except that the BOS wants the temp to be 25-35ºC not 37ºC

well that's what my teacher and past papesr have told me

delian

HSC
N/A
No, I think 37 degrees should be right- human body temp. But I don't think BOS would be too picky.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)