• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Industrial production of ethanol from sugarcane (3 Viewers)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Sugar cane is burnt and harvested, then crushed so that molasses is removed. This is filtered and a yeast, usually zymase (temperature sensitive catalyst) is added to it in a vat at around 37oC in the abscence of oxygen and in an anaerobic environment. The zymase catalyses the fermentation process, and operates best at this warm temperature. The carbon dioxide produced forms a layer over the mixture which inhibits oxygen coming in contact with the sugar mixture. The prescence of oxygen would encourage decay bacteria, which would cause the mixture to go rotten.

After the concentration of ethanol reaches about 15%, the yeast stops producing enzymes as it is being killed/poisoned by the ethanol. To produce ethanol in higher concentrations (up to 95% ethanol), the liquid mixture is separated using fractional distillation. Some uses of ethanol are industrial alcohol and spirits.

molasses: leftover syrup from sugar milling.

Ethanol can also be manufactured from ethylene by the addition of water and a concentrated sulfuric acid (H2SO4) catalyst.

I hope that helps. :)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
You can show ALL threads from the very start by going back to any forum, scrolling down to the bottom, select "From the beginning" and click "show threads". Or you can search the forums with the key words.

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

You may have your options on Forum Default for Default Thread Age Cut Off

To show all threads.

User CP >>> Edit options >>> Default Thread Age Cut Off >>> Show all threads

That should maintain the all threads for every forum

angelxtearz

HSC
must i title this but meh.

the majority of the threads that are about 'industrial production of ethanol from sugarcane' tend to well i think satisfy the 'chemistry of fermentation' dot point. Isn't the 'chemistry of fermentation' dot pt.

1) Enzymes (biological catalysts) in the mixture first converts any starch or sucrose into glucose and or/fructose
2)Other enzymes (zymase) converst glucose and or / fructose into ethanol &CO2

C6H12O6 --> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2
yeast
3) Yeast can produce ethanol contents up to 15%. Alcohol conc. above this level kill the yeast and stop further fermentation. TO produce higher alcohol contents it is necessary to distil the liquid.

4)If the aqueous mixture for a fermentation process is subjected to fractional distilation 95% ethanol can be obtained. This commojn industrial or laboratory alcohol.
5) To obtain 100% ethanol, more elaborate distillation processes are needed.

well i thought id post that up because, most posts ive looked at had similar criteria. and in my notes this is what i had for this pt 'chemistry of fermentation'. I dunno this is really incoherent to me. could some plz plz clarify this???

thankyooz

Ioup

HSC
Loz Metal Head:
Sugar cane can be used to produce ethanol commercially in large amounts.

The first stage in ethanol production from sugar cane is milling. The grains from the sugar cane are passed through hammer mills. These hammer mills grind them into a fine powder. This fine powder is now called meal.

The meal is then sent to the mashing system. At the mashing system, the meal is mixed together with enzymes and water.

This mixture is then passed through cookers which heat up the mixture. This heat effect turns the starch into its liquid form. The enzymes start breaking down the sugar cane to pure to sugars. This mash from the “cookers” is cooled and then allowed to enter the fermentation stage

The yeast is added to the mash, which converts the sugars into ethanol and carbon dioxide as it acts as a biological catalyst. The carbon dioxide can be removed as the industry is only interested in keeping the ethanol as its end product.

Enzymes produced by yeast, such as invertase, are necessary for the fermentation processes to occur. Sugar cane is broken down into glucose and fructose:
(invertase)
C12H22O11 + H2O  C6H12O6 +C6H12O6
(cane sugar) (water) (glucose) (fructose)

The glucose is then further fermented to produce ethanol:
(zymase)
C6H12O6  2C2H5OH + 2CO2

During the fermentation process, nutrients such as phosphoric acid and urea are allowed into the fermenters to ensure that the yeast continues growing. The maximum concentration of ethanol that can be produced is 15%. At concentrations higher than this, the ethanol will start to kill the yeast and the production of ethanol will stop.

The mixture is then continually pumped into a distillation system where the ethanol is removed from the mixture and then the mixture can be left to ferment again.

The alcohol that is removed during distillation is approximately 96-97% pure. This is then
dehydrated to remove the last impurities and water molecules. After this process, the ethanol can then be sold commercially as it is anhydrous."

This is from the link posted in this thread.
While Moiselles notes are highly summarised and really good I think Loz's response is probably what youre looking for the dot point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)