info on subject choices (1 Viewer)

jiggawatnow

HSC
i need to pick my subjects for hsc soon and im hoping to study law in university...was wondering if anyone had some advice on which are the best subjects i should choose to get where i want to be..

thankyou

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
jiggawatnow said:
i need to pick my subjects for hsc soon and im hoping to study law in university...was wondering if anyone had some advice on which are the best subjects i should choose to get where i want to be..

thankyou
There is no assumed knowledge for any Law degrees as far as I know. However, doing English (Advanced) is recommended.

Some people might say that Legal Studies is a recommended study but that's not true. It wouldn't make much difference whether you did Legal Studies or not (if any).

Triangulum

Dignitatis Contentio
HSC
for law, it probably doesn't matter that much. do subjects you like and are good at, because that's the best way to get a good UAI, which you need to get into a law program. a decent level of english would probably be handy though.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
see this -->

Subject selection is really important for you guys to make sure you end up doing the right courses that is:
1. The ones you are good at
2. The ones that you enjoy/have an interest it
3. The subjects that you are capable of

Myths & Facts about Subject Selection
Myth: You need to do High Scalling subjects to get a good UAI
Fact: Any combination of subjects can achieve any uai its how well YOU do and you wont do well if you HATE the subject or pick something out of ur depth. I did ten units (English (Av), Legal Studies, Italian Beginners, French Continuers and Information Processes & technology) no maths, no science, no history and I achieved a UAI of 94.0, its all about what's right for YOU, sure people told me I was crazy doing 10u involving no maths or 'high scalling subjects' but in the end I actually beat some of those people.

Now many people will tell you that you should pick "High Scalling Subjects" the worst thing about this is, UNLESS you do well the so called "high scalling" will effect you negatively.

Myth: I need to do certain subjects so I can get into a uni course (e.g. Legal Studies for Law)
Fact: This is not often the case, many courses no longer have pre-requisites, but if you are not sure either ask your careers advisor of check out the uni websites and handbooks, they will tell you what subjects are required or recommended. Also never fear many uni's offer bridging courses incase you miss out.

Pointers on finding out the subjects that best suit you
Before I get into whether you should do Legal Studies I am going to give you some pointers on how to best choose your subjects and ensure they are the right ones for you.

YOU need to do a lil investigation. Find out what these subjects consist of by asking the teachers who teach it, ask to take a look at a textbook and see what the workload and content is.

Make an informed choice and listen to your teachers and people who know you and ur interests. I have seen too many ppl in my year ignore the teachers advice (as to the capability to handle the subject). That's not to say you should do IPT, but if you have an interest in computers etc, find out what its about and see if it suits you.

Another good way to check out if u'll like a subject is to go into the HSC forums and check them out, people will have posted their assignments etc and you can have a look.

bringbackshred

I AM ANGRY.
HSC
High English and legal. You don't need them, as there are practically no courses that have prerequisites any more, but they're the most relevant subjects to what you're doing. Legal for the background knowledge and English for the literacy skills. But don't worry about what you're doing, worry about how you're doing.

morganjane

HSC
i'll just agree with what has already been said.
The recommended studies at majority of uni's is advanced english and the typical "prerequisite seems to be any two units of english.

as has been mention some say legal studies is needed, but doing legal studies just assists you in first year law because it is basically the same content- basic legal notions, court structures, terminology etc etc

Good Luck
xXx

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
morganjane said:
as has been mention some say legal studies is needed, but doing legal studies just assists you in first year law because it is basically the same content- basic legal notions, court structures, terminology etc etc

Good Luck
xXx
It only assists you for about a week or two in your intro to law subject, then everyone catches up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)