Information Processes and Technology 2004 Independent Trial Exam-Multiple Choice (1 Viewer)

goan_crazy

Hates the waiting game...
HSC
Information Processes and Technology 2004 Trial Exam

Section I
Total marks (20)
Attempt Questions I - 20
Allow 40 minutes for this section
Use the multiple choice answer sheet
Select the alternative A, B, C or D that best answers the question

I Which of the following describes the purpose of encryption?
(A) To prepare data for transmission.
(B) To physically secure data.
(C) To ensure data can only be read by authorised persons.
(D) To encode data prior to sending.

2. Which of the following documents detail laws in regard to an individual's access to their private information?
(A) The copyright act.
(B) The privacy act.
(C) The freedom of information act.
(D) All of the above.

3. An Organisation extracts new information from a variety of different sources. This is an example of
(A) a flat-file database.
(B) a relational database.
(C) a distributed database.
(D) data mining.

4. A particular error checking method adds all the data bits and sends a representation of the total. Which error checking method is being used?
(A) parity bit check.
(B) check sum.
(C) cyclic redundancy check.
(D) handshaking.

5. All nodes on a LAN are connected to a central device. The central device diverts data packets to their precise destination. What is the name given to the central device?
(A) hub.
(B) switch.
(C) router.
(D) bridge.

6. For logistical reasons a transmission media must be installed beside an existing conduit that contains high-voltage power lines. What is the most appropriate form of transmission media?
(A) Twisted pair.
(B) Coaxial cable.
(C) Fibre optic cable.
(D) Microwave.

7. A number of data entry operators comment that it seems inefficient to edit a customer's address in two places. What is the most likely cause of this issue?
(A) Relationships are incorrect within the schema.
(B) The database has not been correctly normalised.
(C) Insufficient training of data entry operators.
(D) Illogical screen designs.

8. hftp:/Iwww.IPTexam.com/questionslq8.htmi is an example of a URL. Which is the best description of this URL?
(A) http is the protocol used, www.IPTexam.com is the host name, questions is a sub folder on this host and q8.htmi is a document.
(B) http indicates the URL refers to an HTML document, www.IPTexam.com indicates
the server, questions is a sub folder on this server and q8.html is a document.
(C) http is the protocol used, www.IPTexam.com is the name of a computer, questions is a folder on this computer and q8.html is a document.
(D) http is the protocol used, www.IPTexam.com is the host name, questions is a folder on this host and q8.html is a subfolder within the questions folder.

9. Which of the following would be a primary consideration when determining the technical feasibility of a project?
(A) The availability of suitable hardware and software.
(B) The time required to implement the project.
(C) Whether participants have the skills to operate the system.
(D) The purchase cost of the required information technology.

10. The following 7-bit ASCIl character and parity bit were received. The receiver requested the data to be resent.
ASCII Character Parity bit
1011001 0
Which of the following examples would be received incorrectly
(A) 1101101 I
(B) 0001110 I
(C) 1100110 0
(D) 0101010 0

11. Which of the following would form part of an implementation plan?
(A) Details of how the system meets its objectives.
(B) The most recent prototype.
(C) Live test data.
(D) The method of conversion.

12. Why are backups performed?
(A) To ensure the continuous operation of systems.
(B) To prevent theft of data.
(C) To prevent loss of data.
(D) To make copies of data.

13. The following SQL command has been executed and 100 records are displayed.
SELECT Surname, FirstName FROM Customers ORDER BY DOB
Which of the following is NOT true?
(A) There are 100 records in the Customers table.
(B) The records are now stored in order of DOB
(C) Only the Surname and FirstName of each customer is displayed.
(D) The contents of the displayed fields can be edited.

14. What is the purpose of twisting together pairs of wires within a twisted pair cable?
(A) To hold the wires together.
(B) To reduce the effect of external interference.
(C) To enhance the strength of the signal.
(D) To improve the physical strength of the cable.

18. Which of the following describes the communication between a client and a server in a client- server system?
(A) All data is transferred from the server to the client.
(B) Data is transferred from the client to the server. The server responds by transferring
data back to the client.
(C) Data is transferred simultaneously both from the client to the server and also from the server to the client.
(D) All data is transferred from the client to the server.

Use the following information when answering Questions 19 and 20.
The following data dictionary describes the ProductsOrdered table within a relational database.
Field name Type Field Size Description
OrderlD Long Integer 4 Foreign key to Orders table
ProductID Long Integer 4 Foreign key to Products table
UnitCost Currency 8 Cost of I item
Numitems Integer 2 Number of items
19. If a customer ordered 5 of one product and IO of another product, what is the total storage requirement for the new records created within the ProductsOrdered table?
(A) 2 bytes
(B) 18 bytes
(C) 36 bytes
(D) 270 bytes

20. UnitCost is also a field within the Products table. Which of the following is the best approach to be taken?
(A) UnitCost should be deleted from the ProductsOrdered table. The unit cost can be obtained from the Products table using the foreign key ProductiD. It is preferable for changes made to the unit cost of a product to be reflected in all orders that include that product.
(B) Both tables require a UnitCost field. We do not want the unit cost of products on existing orders to change when a product's unit cost is edited. However, we wish to use the most recent unit cost on new orders.
(C) UnitCost should be deleted from the Products table. The unit cost of products varies as prices rise and fall. Hence the unit cost for a particular product can be different on different orders.
(D) UnitCost should be deleted from both tables. A product's unit cost can change on each individual order, hence the UnitCost field should be within the Orders table.

15-17 didn't work
Does anyone have those questions

Last edited:

goan_crazy

HSC
These are the answers i got...from doing it

1. c
2. d
3. c
4. b
5. a
6. c
7. b
8. b
9. a
10. d
11. a
12. c
13. d
14. b
18. c
19. c
20. a

what did u guys get?

HSC
8. hftp:/Iwww.IPTexam.com/questionslq8.htmi is an example of a URL. Which is the best description of this URL?

is that http://www.IPTexam.com/questions/q8.htmi ???

19. If a customer ordered 5 of one product and IO of another product, what is the total storage requirement for the new records created within the ProductsOrdered table?

Is that 10? or IO as a binary string?

I got three wrong.

why is question 5 not C. Isn't it the router, which routes data to its exact location?
Couldn't it be both.

sNiPeR_24

Fo' shizzle
HSC
DigitalFortress said:
why is question 5 not C. Isn't it the router, which routes data to its exact location?
Couldn't it be both.
I think they're looking for the answer to be either Hub or Switch and that the candidate distinguishes that Switches send data to an exact location while Hub's merely broadcast the data to all locations.

But yeah, I think it could be router also, so I'm a bit iffy too :confused:

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
DigitalFortress said:

is that http://www.IPTexam.com/questions/q8.htmi ???

Is that 10? or IO as a binary string?
typo on his part
it was in the exam html
and 10 of the other products

and its ok if u got some wrong .. thats what revision is for .. as long as you understand the answer and dont make the same mistake twice

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
just released he didnt hv all the questions

Question 15 .... the WTF question in the exam
A communication link operates at 1200 baud, and transfers data at a speed of 9600 bps. How is this accomplished?
a) There are 256 different wave patterns
b) There are 8 different wave patterns used
c) There are 3 different wave pattersn used
d) the carrier operates at 1200 baud whilst the data signal operates at 9600 baud.

Question 16 and 17 were based on a decision table too complicated to insert in here.

goan_crazy

HSC
Lwaxana said:
just released he didnt hv all the questions

Question 15 .... the WTF question in the exam
A communication link operates at 1200 baud, and transfers data at a speed of 9600 bps. How is this accomplished?
b) There are 8 different wave patterns used
c) There are 3 different wave pattersn used
d) the carrier operates at 1200 baud whilst the data signal operates at 9600 baud.

Question 16 and 17 were based on a decision table too complicated to insert in here.
that is a WTF q...
I have no idea
Ill take a guess
d?

HSC
sNiPeR_24 said:
I think they're looking for the answer to be either Hub or Switch and that the candidate distinguishes that Switches send data to an exact location while Hub's merely broadcast the data to all locations.

But yeah, I think it could be router also, so I'm a bit iffy too :confused:
??? now i'm confused.

I would've thought the candidate automatically discards Hub (the ability to route correct data to an exact location) and Bridge (central device).

Leaving Router and Switch.

Switches
Switches are the same thing as Bridges, but usually have multiple ports with the same "flavor" connection (Example: 10/100BaseT).

Switches can be used in heavily loaded networks to isolate data flow and improve performance. In a switch, data between two lightly used computers will be isolated from data intended for a heavily used server, for example. Or in the opposite case, in "auto sensing" switches that allow mixing of 10 and 100Mbps connections, the slower 10Mbps transfer won't slow down the faster 100Mbps flow.

Although switch prices are dropping so that there is very little difference from hub prices, most home users get very little, if any, advantage from switches, even when sharing broadband Internet connections. Broadband connections for most users are in the 1-2Mbps range, far below even 10Mbps speeds. Since you share that bandwidth, you can see that your speedy 100BaseT connection isn't even breaking a sweat when you're using the Internet.

Router
Routers forward data packets from one place to another, too! However routers are OSI model Layer 3 devices, and forward data depending on the Network address, not the Hardware (MAC) address. For TCP/IP networks, this means the IP address of the network interface.

Routers isolate each LAN into a separate subnet, so each network adapter's IP address will have a different third "octet" (Example: 192.168.1.1 and 192.168.2.1 are in different subnets). They are necessary in large networks because the TCP/IP addressing scheme allows only 254 addresses per (Class C) network segment.

Routers, like bridges, provide bandwidth control by keeping data out of subnets where it doesn't belong. However, routers need to be set up before they can get going, although once set up, they can communicate with other routers and learn the way to parts of a network that are added after a router is initially configured

(this is real world i'm talking about)
which leaves me asking why its switch and not router. whats da syllabus say?

HSC
goan_crazy said:
that is a WTF q...
I have no idea
Ill take a guess
d?
isn't bps the data and baud is the change of signal?

9600/1200 = 8 :S
But the d) option has confused me.

Pace_T

HSC
how do you do 19
i must be missing something here :confused:

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
a WTF question is one ..even when given the answer- still confuses u

the answer is

and No 19 is difficult to understand the way its written there

Data Dictionary where
Field size

If customer oders 5 of one product and 10 of another product, what is total storage requirment for the new rcords created?

does that help at all ???

SamD

HSC
N/A
In regard to Q15...

1200 baud means 1200 signal events occur every second.
9600 bps means every second 9600 ones and zeros are transmitted.

Therefore, 9600/1200 = 8 bits are transferred with each signal event.

Now, there are 2^8=256 different combinations of 8 bits.

Therefore, there must be 256 different wave patterns that could be transmitted so that the reciever can reconstruct the 8 bits correctly.

These different wave patterns are produced by modulating the carrier signal (that is by altering its amplitude, frequency or phase in various ways).

HTH
Sam

SamD

HSC
N/A
In regard to Q5...

5. All nodes on a LAN are connected to a central device. The central device diverts data packets to their precise destination. What is the name given to the central device?
(A) hub.
(B) switch.
(C) router.
(D) bridge.

The question says all the nodes are on a LAN connected to a central device. So they're ALL on the same network plugged into one central box. This means we've ruled out both routers and bridges - they connect LANs together. Hubs are out also - they're dumb as - they just connect everything together, so all messages go everywhere.

The answer is B. Switches have half a brain - they recognise the destination MAC (Media Access Controller) address and flip a 'switch' inside to setup a direct connection between sender and reciever.

Other router stuff...

You don't use a router within a single LAN you use them between LANS. A router is intelligent - it understands and remembers stuff about networks around it. Routers decide which path to send each message along. They gets this info by communicating with other routers. One router sitting in a LAN all alone will know and learn nothing!

Confusion often arises because many routers for home use include switches but the packaging still calls it a router.

HTH
Sam

Last edited:

SamD

HSC
N/A
Pace_T said:
how do you do 19
i must be missing something here :confused:
It's irrelevant how many of each item they ordered the important thing is that they ordered TWO different products. Therefore two records are added to the ProductsOrdered table.

1 record = 4+4+8+2 = 18 bytes

So 2 records requires 36 bytes which is answer C.

HTH
Sam

Last edited:

Lwaxana

Betazed Ambassador
HSC
N/A
Everyone wave and say hello to Sam
He is a way more experienced teacher than I am
(if u do SDD u might even figure out who he is)
in fact he might have even been there the day the examiners wrote that Qu 15 which I think is very hard considering the coverage that topic gets in the text books.
So Trev dont lose heart - lets face it the question was only worth one mark

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)