Internal or external transfer for Usyd vet med? (1 Viewer)

diitto

HSC
Hi, I'm interested in doing veterinary medicine at USYD, however I'm not entirely confident that I am able to achieve the atar for it. Hence, my backup plan would be to do an animal-related bachelor degree, getting high marks and then transferring to veterinary medicine at USYD. What is more ideal to do, doing a bachelor of animal science at WSU or doing a bachelor of animal bioscience at USYD? Any advice? Thanks

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi, I'm interested in doing veterinary medicine at USYD, however I'm not entirely confident that I am able to achieve the atar for it. Hence, my backup plan would be to do an animal-related bachelor degree, getting high marks and then transferring to veterinary medicine at USYD. What is more ideal to do, doing a bachelor of animal science at WSU or doing a bachelor of animal bioscience at USYD? Any advice? Thanks
Probably the one at USYD since internal transfers are much easier to do than external ones. But it's really up to you, any is completely possible.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Be aware that WSU's Bachelor of Science (Zoology)/Bachelor of Natural Science (Animal Science) program will not be offered in 2022. If you wish to study Animal Science at WSU, you may do so by enrolling in a Bachelor of Science (Animal Science) or the Bachelor of Advanced Science (Animal Science), which is designed for high achieving students:

USyd's Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Animal and Veterinary Bioscience) program also seems like a good option:

Regarding internal vs external transfers, as mentioned above, internal transfers may be easier to execute, due to the fact that you will be transferring to a different degree within the same university. However, academic achievement (i.e. results and GPA/WAM) is also an important consideration. If you are able to achieve great results, leading to a great GPA/WAM at a different institution, then an external transfer will not be as difficult.

In terms of ATAR requirements for each degree listed (which may assist you in choosing which program to undertake), they are as follows:
  1. Bachelor of Advanced Science (WSU) - 95
  2. Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (USyd) - 80
  3. Bachelor of Science (WSU) - 70
I hope this helps! 😄

diitto

HSC
Be aware that WSU's Bachelor of Science (Zoology)/Bachelor of Natural Science (Animal Science) program will not be offered in 2022. If you wish to study Animal Science at WSU, you may do so by enrolling in a Bachelor of Science (Animal Science) or the Bachelor of Advanced Science (Animal Science), which is designed for high achieving students:

USyd's Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (Animal and Veterinary Bioscience) program also seems like a good option:

Regarding internal vs external transfers, as mentioned above, internal transfers may be easier to execute, due to the fact that you will be transferring to a different degree within the same university. However, academic achievement (i.e. results and GPA/WAM) is also an important consideration. If you are able to achieve great results, leading to a great GPA/WAM at a different institution, then an external transfer will not be as difficult.

In terms of ATAR requirements for each degree listed (which may assist you in choosing which program to undertake), they are as follows:
  1. Bachelor of Advanced Science (WSU) - 95
  2. Bachelor of Science and Bachelor of Advanced Studies (USyd) - 80
  3. Bachelor of Science (WSU) - 70
I hope this helps! 😄
Thank you! But I've seen some people strongly do not recommend internal transfer for veterinary medicine, so I'm quite conflicted on what to do

quickoats

HSC
I don’t think it’s possible to do a traditional “internal transfer” to veterinary science. Since USyd offers vet as a postgrad package degree (BVB DVM) to yr 12 grads, I’m pretty sure the only way in (apart from yr 12 entry) is to apply for the DVM after you finish your Bachelor degree in Vet Sci.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Thank you! But I've seen some people strongly do not recommend internal transfer for veterinary medicine, so I'm quite conflicted on what to do
Keep in mind that USyd requires the completion of a commitment form as part of your application (i.e. internal transfer) for the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. It is a strict requirement for the purpose of meeting eligibility criteria so I believe that may likely be the reason behind some people's opinions.

Your main consideration should be academic performance, and as mentioned above, applying for the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine will necessitate prior completion of a Bachelor's degree, preferably one that is related to the DVM. Specific requirements are as follows:
  1. Grade Point Average (GPA) from a completed Bachelor's degree, minimum credit average required
  2. Successful completion of prerequisite units
  3. Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Admission Statement including a minimum of 28 days of relevant work experience and animal handling experience, using the prescribed form
  4. Have met the University’s English language requirements
Consistent performance to a high standard (whether at WSU or USyd) will maximise your chances of receiving an offer to study the DVM through either methods.

diitto

HSC
Keep in mind that USyd requires the completion of a commitment form as part of your application (i.e. internal transfer) for the Bachelor of Veterinary Biology/Doctor of Veterinary Medicine. It is a strict requirement for the purpose of meeting eligibility criteria so I believe that may likely be the reason behind some people's opinions.

Your main consideration should be academic performance, and as mentioned above, applying for the Doctor of Veterinary Medicine will necessitate prior completion of a Bachelor's degree, preferably one that is related to the DVM. Specific requirements are as follows:
  1. Grade Point Average (GPA) from a completed Bachelor's degree, minimum credit average required
  2. Successful completion of prerequisite units
  3. Doctor of Veterinary Medicine Admission Statement including a minimum of 28 days of relevant work experience and animal handling experience, using the prescribed form
  4. Have met the University’s English language requirements
Consistent performance to a high standard (whether at WSU or USyd) will maximise your chances of receiving an offer to study the DVM through either methods.
Okay thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)