Internal Transfer (Engineering) @ UNSW? Should I just choose an Easy course? (1 Viewer)

wb47

HSC
Hey guys,

according to this:
https://my.unsw.edu.au/student/academiclife/program_transfer/program_trans_Eng.html

I need 65 Weighted Average Mark to internally transfer to an engineering degree, I was originally planning to do Material Science and Engineering but I would assume there would be easier science courses in which I would get more WAM, does the system work like that? or does doing an engineering degree award more WAM for transfers?

If it doesn't should I just do an easy science course or something?

Thank You.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
WAM is just the average of the marks you get. If you get marks of 80, 80, 70 and 70, your WAM is 80 + 80 + 70 + 70 / 4 = 75.

wb47

HSC
so basically if i maintain high credit avg i can transfer? and if i do transfer is it 1st year into the course or 2nd?

Thanks

EDIT: oh so its better if i choose an easy course than a harder one???

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
1. Yes.

And if you transfer, you don't transfer into a "year". You pick the subjects you do and at the end you get a degree - you just make sure when you transfer you follow the degree rules.

And easy/harder courses sometimes have scaling. Do the one that suits you best.

wb47

HSC
So i'm deciding between material science and engineering/ Science (int'l)/ Environmental Science, but i have already accepted mat science, would this course be the highest scaling?

Thanks.

EDIT: I would assume so as Mat science is BE and the rest is BSci

Last edited:

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Look, degree streams don't scale. SUBJECTS scale.

For example, Math 1A and Higher Math 1A scale against each other.

So my advice is do what you want or need, and if you're not a horrible student - you'll get what you require to transfer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)