International cell phone, unlimited texting? (1 Viewer)

elatrosbear

HSC
N/A
I'm going to a camp in Ireland for three weeks this summer (end of June - beginning of July). This will be my first time traveling alone, furthermore out of the country. I want to be able to talk to my family and boyfriend while I'm gone. Currently I have Verizon, but my contract is almost up, so I may be able to change providers. What would be the best way to get an international plan/phone that would include unlimited texting? Has anyone been in this situation before and are able to offer me some advice? Please? Thanks :)

Last edited:

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
Hi! Where abouts in Ireland are you headed? I am living in Ireland this year myself so I'll try to help you.

As far as I know, your best bet would be to buy a sim card or something over here. Texts to Australia are around 29 - 40 (29 being Vodaphone, 40 being Meteor) cents depending on which provider you get it from. Though, an Irish simcard will probably only work if you have an unlocked phone? I just bought myself a whole new phone, but you are only going for 3 weeks so I dunno.

Are you only interested in texting? I do know that Meteor has a 15c/m international call deal right now so don't rule out phone calls- it might be cheaper.
Another option is to get the WhatsApp messenger for your & your family/boyfriends phone? Once you pay for the net, it's basically free texting. And again, if you buy a sim card from Meteor for example, you can get the internet for 69 cents a day. Whichever floats your boat.

No idea what the rates are like you use your Australian card though. As I said, I just bought a whole new phone.

I also know there are those international phone cards but I know nothing about them.

And if you have a tablet or iPod touch or something similar with wifi, camp out at Starbucks and use email/chat apps for freee

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm sure a small google search would help you especially since you seem to be living in the US and this is an Australian forum.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)