Inverse formula of light intensity and distance (1 Viewer)

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
Would anyone happen to have a simple explanation for the inverse formula of light intensity and distance? (Intensity proportional to 1 / Distance^2). I need practice with this, because I know it'll pop up in the half yearly exam.

Thanks.

st1m

HSC
yeah I1/I2= D1/D2 i think its that

just pop it in this formula and cross multuply

cya

P.s im in a hurry lol sorry for the minimum explaination

bored of sc

HSC
inverse is the opposite - so the opposite to 1/d^2 is -d^2 (negative reciprocle)

no?

P.S I don't do physics but I am just trying to help - probably confusing everyone not to mention myself :apig:

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
bored of sc said:
inverse is the opposite - so the opposite to 1/d^2 is -d^2 (negative reciprocle)

no?

P.S I don't do physics but I am just trying to help - probably confusing everyone not to mention myself :apig:
Thanks man you did your best ;), but that wasn't what I was asking. I may as well ask the teacher.

Thanks to the both of you =]

Felix Jones

HSC
basically what it means is that as the distance from the source of the light increases the intensity decreases (because it covers more area). for example think about a torch shining its light through a small hole. if u bring a papers and place it in front of the hole, the brightness of the light increases (intensity) but the area covered decreases. when u move away the paper, u increase the area it covers, hence when it covers more area the intensity decreases (less bright).

i'll give u a numerical explanation if that didn't help:

Question:
-if the light intensity at a distance (a) from a light source is 45 lux (unit for light intensity)
-then what would be the intensity of light if you:
a)tripled the disdance
b)halved
c)increases it by tenfold?

answer:
a)just chuck 3 in the formula (1/d^2) and u would get (1/9)
this means that the intensity of light is now 1/9 th of what it was before, and 45 *(1/9) =5 lux.

b) same as before chuck those numbers in the formula so (1/(0.5)^2)= 4, there fore the intensity will be four times greater. hence the intensity is: 45*4= 180 lux.

c) same as before, but try this urself.

Good Luck!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)