• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Investment Banking - which degree to do? (1 Viewer)

notwithstanding

daBoys4lyf
HSC
Hi all,

I completed my HSC back in 2005 and only achieved a UAI of in the high 60s. Since leaving high school I've been working as a financial planner at a family-run firm in Parramatta and have, since the beginning of this year, have been studying the Bachelor of Financial Advising at UWS (PARRA) full-time as it was the only degree related to financial advising that would still allow me to work full-time given my UAI.

Over the past six months, I have been entertaining the possibility of leaving the financial planning profession to enter the investment banking industry. I was wondering if any of you would be able to inform me of the degree that you believe to be the most relevant in establishing a career in investment banking that is offered at UNSW. Furthermore, if any of you have information related to the likelihood of my application being successful - given that I've only undertaken one semester of study (plus I received three units of credit for a Diploma in Financial Planning at FINSIA) - that would be very much appreciated. It should be noted that I am currently 19 and as such, would not be able to apply as a mature age student.

I should also mention that I'm currently topping my course with a HD average, and that my course co-ordinator is willing to give me a reference if I do end up finishing first at the end of the semester.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

sunjet

Hip-Hop Saved My Life
HSC
Science (Maths/Stats), Commerce (Finance), Economics (Econometrics) etc

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
I am planning to do B.Commerce + B.Mathematics and Computer Science (major in probability/stat) to pursue a job in Investment banking.

If all doesn't go so well I'll become an actuary :D

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Studentleader said:
I am planning to do B.Commerce + B.Mathematics and Computer Science (major in probability/stat) to pursue a job in Investment banking.

If all doesn't go so well I'll become an actuary :D
investment banking ... . imo how boring. lol.

but then again; im doing accounting. haha

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
sunjet said:
Science (Maths/Stats), Commerce (Finance), Economics (Econometrics) etc
this.

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
I think your chances are low - your real competitors have better UAIs and similar grades, and attend better unis.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
I think your chances are low - your real competitors have better UAIs and similar grades, and attend better unis.
Actually, chances are good. he/she has genuine related work experience as well as professional life experience that many school leavers do not. That, plus current HD performance should place him/her in good stead for entry into any university. University admissions administrators look at all these factors when considering a non-school-leaver applicant.

Last edited:

notwithstanding

daBoys4lyf
HSC
Thanks guys!

I spoke to the careers adviser at UNSW this morning and she told me that, given my work experience, I have a good chance of being accepted into the BCom or BEco degree mid-year as long as I achieve a HD, and that if I don't, I'll definately be accepted Autumn next year as long as I keep my grades above a D.

Again, thank you very for your input, I really appreciate it.

Jago

el oh el donkaments
HSC
HD (or even D) average isn't as easy to maintain as you might think, but good luck.

dm4n

HSC
dont u have to wait till the end of the year for them to consider your uni marks?

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
notwithstanding said:
I spoke to the careers adviser at UNSW this morning and she told me that, given my work experience, I have a good chance of being accepted into the BCom or BEco degree mid-year as long as I achieve a HD, and that if I don't, I'll definately be accepted Autumn next year as long as I keep my grades above a D.
id hate to tell you this but you spoke to the wrong people. if you spoke to unsw careers and employment you spoke to the wrong people. the more accurate sources of information and most relevant to yourself would be the australian school of business themselves or to be more general, unsw student central would have been the better places to have gone.
student central is where all academic matter are dealt. asb because that is probaly the best faculty to associate with if you are pursuing a career profession in investment banking.

good luck

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
Actually, chances are good. he/she has genuine related work experience as well as professional life experience that many school leavers do not. That, plus current HD performance should place him/her in good stead for entry into any university. University admissions administrators look at all these factors when considering a non-school-leaver applicant.
I mean getting into IB, since that it is the end goal.

His record is soiled permanently by having a low UAI and going to UWS; he will be at a significant disadvantage to the top candidates from good unis with good marks, more relevant banking experience, lots of extracurricular achievements, high UAIs, etc. Since most IBs take in very few (and even fewer over the next couple of learn yrs), and there are more than enough top people in every cohort of vanilla Commerce students to fill the yearly grad recruitment quota, your chances are miniscule.

You might have better chances targeting small and mid-tier firms if your lucky, pull a few strings and enter through the backdoor, etc, but times are going to be tough. Fewer IB jobs for the top guys means more competition down the chain.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
§eraphim said:
I mean getting into IB, since that it is the end goal.

His record is soiled permanently by having a low UAI and going to UWS; he will be at a significant disadvantage to the top candidates from good unis with good marks, more relevant banking experience, lots of extracurricular achievements, high UAIs, etc. Since most IBs take in very few (and even fewer over the next couple of learn yrs), and there are more than enough top people in every cohort of vanilla Commerce students to fill the yearly grad recruitment quota, your chances are miniscule.

You might have better chances targeting small and mid-tier firms if your lucky, pull a few strings and enter through the backdoor, etc, but times are going to be tough. Fewer IB jobs for the top guys means more competition down the chain.
Knowing a few people who got in via contacts and probably wouldnt have got in without them (but they were from usyd/unsw etc), uni/marks are not that important. Find some contacts, that is your best bet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)