Investments and Trading Association (ITA) (2 Viewers)

RIZAL

HSC
This is a new club starting up at Macquarie next year. It will feature the usual club stuff and an advanced trading competition that will allow not just equities, but warrants and options (possibly short selling also).

So it's a good opportunity for people interested in trading/investment banking to meet up with like minded individuals.

So yeah...just a heads up for everyone to look out for it next year!

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Nice. Not my domain, but nice. In my opinion there don't seem to be enough businessy things out there for students to get active with... Maybe it's just me being rather disconnected from the mathsy-side (ie economics/accounting/actuarial) of business, though. :rolleyes:

Are you the creator/starter, Isaaq?

RIZAL

HSC
Sweet, thanks for the positive feedback guys.

The creator/president is on the forums (nick="ND"). He'll probably post in this thread once he sees it.

Note: This club is not really a competitor to the other 'business' socs and clubs on the university...it's mainly just a delivery vehicle for the trading competition which should be unlike any trading competition that Macquarie has seen before. But ITA will still run some fairly casual social events (probably centering around drinking and possibly poker ;) )

ND

HSC
Yep we'll be launching during o-week next year. Isaac pretty much summed up what it's about. We'll be having a few trading comps throughout the year with cash prizes, and we'll also be having newletters with trading strategies/tips and stocks to watch.

Hopefully when we get a good member base we'll also be able to get in some guest speakers to talk about trading strategies.

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
Good to see this new club start up :)

also sounds pretty similar to unsw's investment management assoc.(IMA) www.ima-unsw.org ;)

ND

HSC
You guys at UNSW have that as well as a general commerce society right? The only thing we are worried about is getting opposition (in terms of affiliation with SAM) cos of possible similarities with ECFS (even though they're completely different), but if you guys have both, it shouldn't be a problem here.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
i'll join for sure.

i've been meaning to get "into it" but as is the case with most things, they are easily forgotten. :p

hmm joining fees....bos discounts? ;)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Quick question; How are you planning on administering the game? I imagine a website would be easiest, but least personal... Little bit of work but the best 'investment', so to speak ;).

RIZAL

HSC
We are working out how the game will be hosted at the moment. But yes, most probably through a website where you could check your portfolio, conduct trades and see who is in the lead etc.

redruM: Thanks for showing interest...Not sure about BOS discounts at this stage since the sign up fee is most likely to be really really cheap!

ND

HSC
The membership fee is $10, which will entitle you to 1 portfolio in each trading game (we will have either 2 or 3 per year, but in essence it doesn't matter which cos the membership fees will be pooled and distributed as prizes, so if we have 3 games the prizes will be a bit smaller than if we have 2). We haven't completely decided but additional portfolios will probably cost $5 each.

So the membership cost is the same as most societies, but unlike most other societies none if it will go into subsidising stuff like balls and parties which only half the people are interested in. We hope to be able to use 100% of the membership fees as prize money (if not 100%, at least 90% will be used).

BOS discounts? Heheh we'll see when we get closer to launching.

^___^
HSC
i'm very interested, although i know jack all about investments and econ-related stuff

lets hope not all the members are ecfs ppl :\

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
ND said:
You guys at UNSW have that as well as a general commerce society right? The only thing we are worried about is getting opposition (in terms of affiliation with SAM) cos of possible similarities with ECFS (even though they're completely different), but if you guys have both, it shouldn't be a problem here.
Yup, IMA and ComSoc are completely different.
You shouldnt have any opposition form ECFS because i dont think they're not as "focused" on equities / derivative market games, discussion boards, meetings, events etc. Well, comsoc aren't.

ND

HSC
... said:
i'm very interested, although i know jack all about investments and econ-related stuff

Don't worry, in the real world, investing is nothing like they teach in uni. In fact, the investors who have consistently produced great returns have been those who go against pretty much everything we're taught about investment strategy in uni.

Yup, IMA and ComSoc are completely different.
You shouldnt have any opposition form ECFS because i dont think they're not as "focused" on equities / derivative market games, discussion boards, meetings, events etc. Well, comsoc aren't.
Sweet.

RIZAL

HSC
... said:

All this positive feedback is really encouraging. We are hoping that the club will attract people from a variety of degree majors - because investing can be an entirely rational thing for anyone to do.

We've already had a few early sign ups from people outside of economic and financial studies - the more the better.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
unfortunately most of my friends are curries and they dont join any clubs if there's nothing in it for them :p (like free drinks and stuff :p) so i cant really persuade them...

this club thing is a really good idea, and i think people who are not from an ECFS background but are interested in investing will join...one doesnt need to be in ECFS to be interested in stuff like that, anyone can invest...

^___^
HSC
ah thats all good

i wonder if you guys will create any newsletter and such, so n00bs like me can keep up to date with current issues without going through the financial review (not that i'm tight, just that half of the time i read it, things don't make much sense to me)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
... said:
i wonder if you guys will create any newsletter and such, so n00bs like me can keep up to date with current issues without going through the financial review (not that i'm tight, just that half of the time i read it, things don't make much sense to me)
Just recruit some media students, and give them little certificates and such to say they've been involved in some real world free-freelancing! ;)

(I hope so to; I'm seriously considering joining, but of course would feel slightly intimidated by all the ACST students. Crash courses in basic investing strategy would be awesome, as a club resource... And good study for you guys!

ND

HSC
Yep we're definately going to give a crash course on investing in the first few issues of the newsletter.

But since the newsletter won't be coming out more than twice a term, i don't think we'll be covering financial news. (by the time you read it from us, it'll be old news)

Skittled don't feel intimidated by ACST students, we're not that scary :D

Seriously though, the average ACST student wouldn't know any more about investing than you. In ACST we are taught absolutely nothing about investing. Applied finance students would have a little bit of an advantage, but as i said earlier, finance at uni teaches you about how stocks and the like work, but teaches you absolutely nothing about how to invest profitably.

I'll give you evidence: In the BRW share game (for students), they also got a number of finance lecturers (a number of whom are professors in the field). The students (and lecturers) chose stocks worth $200 000, and those stocks are locked in for a year and whoever produces the best return wins. Now the national average for students is $193372 (not great but the market's performed very poorly over the past month), and the national average for lecturers is $186928. So the finance lecturers have lost twice what the students have.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Haha interesting numbers, ND.

I'm glad there'll be crash course articles - because of that, you've got my $10 -- I'm in on the game! See you in O-week!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)