IPT Help (Data Flow Diagram) (1 Viewer)

bradyjoosse

HSC
Hey, I have only done 1 data flow diagram so far and I feel so lost in terms of what I am meant to do this time around as it is for a project that doesn't exist yet, we are making a game which is like a simulator its singleplayer. I was hoping to get some guidance of what it would look like its got basic save functionality with player rank/checkpoint being done.

Thanks

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Would the following data flow diagram help?

1653791106379.png

I created this data flow diagram based on the information that you have provided. I believe that it includes the essential components with respect to your project. An additional element that you may wish to add (subject to your own consideration) is the data flow between each process. I believe that would help in making your data flow diagram more comprehensive. Of course, information regarding data flow, and the manner in which this is incorporated into your data flow diagram will depend on the specific details of your project.

I hope this helps! :D

bradyjoosse

HSC
An additional element that you may wish to add (subject to your own consideration) is the data flow between each process. I believe that would help in making your data flow diagram more comprehensive. Of course, information regarding data flow, and the manner in which this is incorporated into your data flow diagram will depend on the specific details of your project.
I assume you are talking about the text along the arrows to describe what is happening?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
I assume you are talking about the text along the arrows to describe what is happening?
That is correct.

I will note that a more accurate expression would be "data that is transmitted as part of the process" instead of "describing what is happening" because the latter refers more to the actual process rather than the data flow.

For additional reference, below is an example of a more comprehensive data flow diagram:

1653791970233.png

bradyjoosse

HSC
That is correct.

I will note that a more accurate expression would be "data that is transmitted as part of the process" instead of "describing what is happening" because the latter refers more to the actual process rather than the data flow.

For additional reference, below is an example of a more comprehensive data flow diagram:

View attachment 35687
Is this good ?
Copy of IPT Y11 AT1 Data Flow Diagram.png

bradyjoosse

HSC
and also I am not sure what I would put for the text in between the arrows

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
and also I am not sure what I would put for the text in between the arrows
This looks good. Following the example I have provided above, the text between the arrows is a mere representation of the data transmission involved in the process (i.e. the data that is sent/retrieved as part of the process).

Between the arrow linking the "Display Rank/Checkpoint to User" process and the "Player" entity for instance, you could simply add "Rank and Checkpoint", therefore describing the data that the player is given access to once the process is completed.

bradyjoosse

HSC
This looks good. Following the example I have provided above, the text between the arrows is a mere representation of the data transmission involved in the process (i.e. the data that is sent/retrieved as part of the process).

Between the arrow linking the "Display Rank/Checkpoint to User" process and the "Player" entity for instance, you could simply add "Rank and Checkpoint", therefore describing the data that the player is given access to once the process is completed.
This Better?
Copy of IPT Y11 AT1 Data Flow Diagram (1).png

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Assuming the game allows for multiple save files, i.e. one player can play at a time but more than one player can play and save their own progress at different times (here, you may wish to consider games that allowed this, such as the original Plants vs Zombies), you should probably add an element such as "save file ID". This can be added between the "Store Data" process and the "Player Save Data Store" data store as well as between the "SST Simulator (Game)" entity and the "Display Rank/Checkpoint to User" process.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)