• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is anyone else getting mixed signals for exam writing advice? (1 Viewer)

HSC
(RANT WARNING HAHAH i need to YELL!!)

I am terribly confused!
So for module A right, i hear many people emphasise the need for a conceptual thesis, and then other people saying you should just introduce the text and answer the question exactly right off the bat.

sometimes people say band 6 responses are super structured, other people say band 6 responses should have much more obvious personal voice.
ARGH!! I feel like with english i never can find a conclusive answer. I read a question and i know full well what to say but i feel like the need for me to get it right…do it in the “band 6” way. I dont really trust my own personal voice.

I have two teachers and they both say different things. I dont know weather i should trust myself, or weather i should change my writing style completely just to fit something standardised.

I love all the texts we are studying…reading about the textual conversation between hagseed and tempest is genuinely fascinating. I love atwoods work, i love how much texts can change if only looked at in retrospect. I love how much she takes apart what existed in the tempest, and treated it as pretense, as something to mould…but i cant seem to get that out of my head without yapping.

tldr; NESA LET ME YAP!!!

Masaken

Unknown Member
HSC
(RANT WARNING HAHAH i need to YELL!!)

I am terribly confused!
So for module A right, i hear many people emphasise the need for a conceptual thesis, and then other people saying you should just introduce the text and answer the question exactly right off the bat.

sometimes people say band 6 responses are super structured, other people say band 6 responses should have much more obvious personal voice.
ARGH!! I feel like with english i never can find a conclusive answer. I read a question and i know full well what to say but i feel like the need for me to get it right…do it in the “band 6” way. I dont really trust my own personal voice.

I have two teachers and they both say different things. I dont know weather i should trust myself, or weather i should change my writing style completely just to fit something standardised.

I love all the texts we are studying…reading about the textual conversation between hagseed and tempest is genuinely fascinating. I love atwoods work, i love how much texts can change if only looked at in retrospect. I love how much she takes apart what existed in the tempest, and treated it as pretense, as something to mould…but i cant seem to get that out of my head without yapping.

tldr; NESA LET ME YAP!!!
there are many ways to get a b6 in english, as long as you are answering the question directly and sustaining that response with relevant ideas, topic sentences, quotes and analysis, you are on track. i usually recommend conceptual theses when i tutor my students unless the question specifically asks you to mention the text in the question - because the question often asks about universal themes and ideas, and the text is merely one out of so many mediums through which these universal themes and ideas are channeled.

in mod b personal voice is extremely important and can be the thing that differentiates you from a low to high band 6, much less so in common module and mod a. i don’t know why people are saying it’s one or the other because not only do you need structured responses that aid in the flow and cohesiveness of your essay it is possible to have well-structured responses with personal voice (see: module b band 6 exemplars).

there is no conclusive answer because even though teachers and tutors (like myself) have a ‘formula’/‘way’ to write your essays to get a band 6, they’re not the only methods you can use. the hsc markers know this, even your own teachers should know this. just follow what you think is best as long as in the end you are following a band 6 method

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)