Is coaching unnecessary during non-senior high school years? (1 Viewer)

Jehuty

HSC
I've been to coaching on and off during school years (a little bit before the selective school test, a bit after the selective school test, the whole year 9 year and now), and even a teacher at one of the coaching schools I attended asked, "why is everyone here doing coaching? I think you would only need it in years 11 and 12 you need to learn some things or need help with something you don't understand."

So, do you think that coaching is unnecessary unless your in year 11/12? Would working diligently at school suffice? Because I've been meaning to free up some time for something else (part-time work, take up an instrument, learn martial arts for self-defense, do tricking with a mate (faux-gymnastics, but cooler)).

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
I've been to coaching on and off during school years (a little bit before the selective school test, a bit after the selective school test, the whole year 9 year and now), and even a teacher at one of the coaching schools I attended asked, "why is everyone here doing coaching? I think you would only need it in years 11 and 12 you need to learn some things or need help with something you don't understand."

So, do you think that coaching is unnecessary unless your in year 11/12? Would working diligently at school suffice? Because I've been meaning to free up some time for something else (part-time work, take up an instrument, learn martial arts for self-defense, do tricking with a mate (faux-gymnastics, but cooler)).
coaching is not even necessary during senior high school years.

so yeah, i suggest you relax a bit and do what you like.

Jehuty

HSC
whether you 'need' coaching or not depends on your motivation for undertaking it. many students attend coaching because the course is covered earlier than at school, so when it comes to learning the syllabus at school, they are already familiar with it, and this enables them to perform better at school and potentially in assessments. however, having said that, if you feel comfortable with your performance in school assessments and learn sufficiently from your school teachers, you shouldn't feel the need to have to attend coaching. it's essentially a personal (or often parent influenced) choice.
I'd have to agree that learning some maths concepts ahead of time does help when assessment time comes around, but at coaching we never really learn how the concepts actually work, instead we just learn a formula or something to answer questions (and with the harder homework questions we just take a wild stab at answering the question and don't really understand how the formula should be applied). Science I guess can easily replaced by reading through a school supplied textbook and English coaching I have is almost completely unrelated to the school course.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I didn't have tutoring/coaching in my non-senior years and i did fine.

I have math tutoring now only because i'm too lazy to find my own extra practise exams that aren't in success on.

So no, you don't need coaching if you're able to do it yourself. Just learn the concept before class if you like to know things beforehand.

oasfree

HSC
N/A
First you need to understand yourself. That's the very important step to know your strength and weakness. Most kids who have natural talents in certain things, they do extremely well without any help on those areas. Once you have identified your weaknesses, try to understand why you have those weaknesses. If they are natural (lack of natural talent) then coaching and hard work will help.

In many cases you should just try to team up with friends to help each other out first. If you make a group of 3 where you are good at something, another good at something else, ... and help one another out, you will find that you may just improve together. But it's not easy to get good buddies who would work well together. That's the old fashioned way that works very well. It's a problem now that parents often force kids into attending coaching because they believe mass-coaching is the "answer". It's not as far as I can see. One to one tutoring is the only thing that really works well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)