is ext 2 maths really worth it (2 Viewers)

oot123

HSC
N/A
everyone keeps telling me that the scaling for extension 2 maths is insane and you should do it regardless of whether or not you like it cause it scales that well

also can someone explain why it’s so good to do it scaling and like marks wise

i’m not horrible at maths but it’s definitely not my strongest subject so should i still consider extension 2 maths.

everyone keeps saying to do subjects that you like but if we don’t consider that is extension 2 something you should consider if you are good at maths. i don’t think i’m one of those people who get less motivated to do a subject just because i like it less but yeah

liamkk112

HSC
everyone keeps telling me that the scaling for extension 2 maths is insane and you should do it regardless of whether or not you like it cause it scales that well

i’m not horrible at maths but it’s definitely not my strongest subject so should i still consider extension 2 maths.

everyone keeps saying to do subjects that you like but if we don’t consider that is extension 2 something you should consider if you are good at maths. i don’t think i’m one of those people who get less motivated to do a subject just because i like it less but yeah
if youre not willing to put in the hours its not gonna be worth it, youre better off doing adv + ext 1 which also have very good scaling anyway + a bad mark in ext2 isn't better than a good mark in advanced

although if you're thinking of doing something that has a good chunk of math in uni (engineering, compsci, physics etc) then it could be worth considering since you'd have to learn all of ext2 in uni, and at a much faster pace

Armon

HSC
if youre not willing to put in the hours its not gonna be worth it, youre better off doing adv + ext 1 which also have very good scaling anyway + a bad mark in ext2 isn't better than a good mark in advanced

although if you're thinking of doing something that has a good chunk of math in uni (engineering, compsci, physics etc) then it could be worth considering since you'd have to learn all of ext2 in uni, and at a much faster pace
this is rubbish. a failing mark in ext 2 can be better than a band 6 in advanced. 49 raw went to like 97 atar contribution

liamkk112

HSC
this is rubbish. a failing mark in ext 2 can be better than a band 6 in advanced. 49 raw went to like 97 atar contribution
a 90 raw in math adv (which is relatively easily achievable compared to ext 2) is roughly a 99 atar contribution compared to a raw mark of 50 in ext 2 being a roughly a 98 atar contribution, but a mark of 50 in ext 2 with little to no effort will be very difficult, you’d only be able to solve questions 11,12 and maybe 13 at best

it’s better to get a band 6 in adv with relative ease than bomb ext 2 internals and stress and barely scrape a mark of 50 in the subject if you’re not going to put in the hard hours for ext 2, even if it was a couple of extra points of atar contribution the adjustment points that most unis give out balance it out anyway, not to say advanced takes 0 effort but it is much easier

that’s why i said that if they’re not willing to put in the hours then it’s not worth it, you might as well just aim for a band 6 in advanced and your atar contribution will already be maxed

oliv36

HSC
Everyone says (and it's very true) that doing Ext 2 maths, even if you don't like it, is a really good idea because the scaling is just nuts; and most importantly both Extension subjects become 2 units each which is even more of a scaling boost. It's really imbalanced and I've heard that most people who study consistently get a band 6 without tutoring.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC

If that truely was the case, then everyone in the state would do it to get a 9whatever+ atar. if you are going in with the intent of getting scaling benefits and nothing else, you are very likely to get absolutely screwed. I know students from my old school with parents of JRAHS alumni and even they were unable to band 6 it. The other student (who was the only one that actually achieved a b6 in the class of 20) had to sacrifice his b6 in adv english in order to attain the band 6. Whilst this may be severely exaggerated assuming you may or may not really think a b6 is neccessary for the atar that you are looking for, I think it does shine a fair bit of light as to the workload this subject would entail and how much harder it is to achieve even a 'fail' mark that some of the users above were referring to as opposed to taking the advanced course and recieving a decent/high mark on that.

Last edited:

Armon

HSC
a 90 raw in math adv (which is relatively easily achievable compared to ext 2) is roughly a 99 atar contribution compared to a raw mark of 50 in ext 2 being a roughly a 98 atar contribution, but a mark of 50 in ext 2 with little to no effort will be very difficult, you’d only be able to solve questions 11,12 and maybe 13 at best

it’s better to get a band 6 in adv with relative ease than bomb ext 2 internals and stress and barely scrape a mark of 50 in the subject if you’re not going to put in the hard hours for ext 2, even if it was a couple of extra points of atar contribution the adjustment points that most unis give out balance it out anyway, not to say advanced takes 0 effort but it is much easier

that’s why i said that if they’re not willing to put in the hours then it’s not worth it, you might as well just aim for a band 6 in advanced and your atar contribution will already be maxed
your opinion would be valid, however my atar is higher than yours

oliv36

HSC
If that truely was the case, then everyone in the state would do it to get a 9whatever+ atar. if you are going in with the intent of getting scaling benefits and nothing else, you are very likely to get absolutely screwed. I know students from my old school with parents of JRAHS alumni and even they were unable to band 6 it. The other student (who was the only one that actually achieved a b6 in the class of 20) had to sacrifice his b6 in adv english in order to attain the band 6. Whilst this may be severely exaggerated assuming you may or may not really think a b6 is neccessary for the atar that you are looking for, I think it does shine a fair bit of light as to the workload this subject would entail and how much harder it is to achieve even a 'fail' mark that some of the users above were referring to as opposed to taking the advanced course and recieving a decent/high mark on that.
Bro everyone DOES do Ext 2 to get a 9whatever+ ATAR. What you're saying is really not what I've heard from everyone, it seems that most people who approach it with a positive attitude get a Band 6. Just my observations.

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Bro everyone DOES do Ext 2 to get a 9whatever+ ATAR. What you're saying is really not what I've heard from everyone, it seems that most people who approach it with a positive attitude get a Band 6. Just my observations.
? And yet a good proportion of said students you're referring to- have tuition and therefore infinitely more access to help and resources assuming from the fact they believe something as simple as having a 'positive attitude' will correlate to a band 6? From the stand point of students who do not do tuition for 4u, it is much harder to achieve a band 6. Your 'observation' is a generalisation of a sample quantity. Does not reflect the majority.

oliv36

HSC
? And yet a good proportion of said students you're referring to- have tuition and therefore infinitely more access to help and resources. From the stand point of students who do not do tuition for 4u, it is much harder to achieve a band 6. Your 'observation' is a generalisation of a sample quantity. Does not reflect the majority.
I never said it reflects the majority. I'm part of a community where virtually everyone goes to tutoring lol and that represents the vast majority of people I know, especially at selective schools (and it's very apparent given I moved to a selective school part way through high school)

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
I never said it reflects the majority. I'm part of a community where virtually everyone goes to tutoring lol and that represents the vast majority of people I know, especially at selective schools (and it's very apparent given I moved to a selective school part way through high school)
What exactly is your argument then?

Average Boreduser

Rising Renewal
HSC
Everyone says (and it's very true) that doing Ext 2 maths, even if you don't like it, is a really good idea because the scaling is just nuts; and most importantly both Extension subjects become 2 units each which is even more of a scaling boost. It's really imbalanced and I've heard that most people who study consistently get a band 6 without tutoring.
This is very different to what you said there^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)