Is it possible to do actuarial studies with only advanced maths? (1 Viewer)

ballzak

HSC
Im interested in doing actuarial studies however Im only doing advanced maths which may be an issue as i've heard many people say its one of the most mathematical degrees in uni. Could I get some peoples thoughts on this?

vishnay

God
HSC
Im interested in doing actuarial studies however Im only doing advanced maths which may be an issue as i've heard many people say its one of the most mathematical degrees in uni. Could I get some peoples thoughts on this?
the maths in actl rn isn't that much harder than the maths my friends do in eng/comp sci and there are plenty of 2u kids doing eng and comp sci

that being said i think you'll struggle with the beginner maths course and it'll probably require a lot of effort to keep up so i definitely don't recommend it

5uckerberg

HSC
the maths in actl rn isn't that much harder than the maths my friends do in eng/comp sci and there are plenty of 2u kids doing eng and comp sci

that being said i think you'll struggle with the beginner maths course and it'll probably require a lot of effort to keep up so i definitely don't recommend it
How are they doing in these courses, probably this could be a deterrant.

vishnay

God
HSC
How are they doing in these courses, probably this could be a deterrant.
all my friends doing comp sci, eng and actl did a minimum of 3u maths and they're finding it manageable but as a former 4u student i can say that it would be hard to keep up in class without the knowledge gained from 3u and (sometimes) 4u maths

i think there was some 2u kid enrolled in actl who couldn't keep up so they dropped the beginner maths course but i haven't heard much abt them since

ballzak

HSC

what could be an alternative and or similar degree to actuarial? Maybe like economics or data science?

Last edited:

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Yea you can. I only had 1-2 subjects that really involved any high school maths (aka the 2 pure maths courses). One of them was basically a repeat of some 3U maths content and one had more new content so that wouldn't be affected. However you gotta also ask yourself why did u only do advanced maths and not 3u/4u maths? The maths in actuarial can get very hard but in saying that, the hard maths content in actuarial is applied stuff (statistics, financial maths, probability) so it's a bit different. The actual courses that related to high school maths I found were really easy in comparison to the actuarial courses which involved applied maths, which at times were very very hard.

ballzak

HSC
Yea you can. I only had 1-2 subjects that really involved any high school maths (aka the 2 pure maths courses). One of them was basically a repeat of some 3U maths content and one had more new content so that wouldn't be affected. However you gotta also ask yourself why did u only do advanced maths and not 3u/4u maths? The maths in actuarial can get very hard but in saying that, the hard maths content in actuarial is applied stuff (statistics, financial maths, probability) so it's a bit different. The actual courses that related to high school maths I found were really easy in comparison to the actuarial courses which involved applied maths, which at times were very very hard.
Thanks for the reply, i didnt do extension cause I thought doing advanced was hard enough, however ive realised that advanced aint that hard. So would teaching myself basic 3u concepts make me prepared for actuarial?

pikachu975

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks for the reply, i didnt do extension cause I thought doing advanced was hard enough, however ive realised that advanced aint that hard. So would teaching myself basic 3u concepts make me prepared for actuarial?
Hi, I can't comment on UNSW maths subjects as they're most likely harder, but the MQ ones felt really easy so it definitely should be doable without even doing 3U maths. However the really hard subjects are mainly the actuarial/statistics/probability ones.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Maybe it's worth asking what about actuarial (as a field of study and also as a career path) is appealing to you?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)