• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Is it vital to have a quote in you thesis. (1 Viewer)

HighFlyer

HSC
Hi,

i have done practice on various essays but i can't seem to find any good quotes or remember them as well all other quotes that i'll be remembering. is it necessary to have quotes from famous people or can you have random quotes like this one i found

and im pretty sure this one is random, not from a famous person, so if i use this will i be marked down.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
unless it has some real relevance to a unique thesis, i think it's just showy (and possibly would make people cringe cos of the cheesiness...then again, this is the HSC english exam ;) )

Last edited:

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
hmm i dont understand your question but i'll answer it as best as i can..
you shouldnt put a quote made by a famous person in your thesis. the aos is about you appreciating the journey through a "philosophical quote" (which is your thesis) as a basis of your understanding

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
a philosophical quote is not a thesis

a thesis is a carefully thought out argument or stance that is sustained and argued throughout the essay

a philosophical quote can support a thesis and maybe clarify succinctly to the reader what your thesis is, but it is no replacement for an actual thesis.

most of the time, the quotes i see inserted in essays are just random and have only some sort of indirect relevance to the essay/argument.

if you happen upon a quote that you truly think is quite thought provoking and will match your thesis (match = clarifying to the mker as i said above blah blah), then use it. otherwise, you're just being showy and it doesn't add substance.

Eagles

ROAR~!
HSC
Do you need a quote in your opening paragraph to get a band 6?
No.

Will it help?
Only if you can elaborate on the quote with your texts.

Good Luck

HighFlyer

HSC
thanx alot, i will try to use random quotes if i think i can use it. Thanx too all and a special one to sarah168.

thanx guys.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)