Is Physics compulsory in first year Medical Science at USYD? (1 Viewer)

tickleyouemo

HSC
I just received an offer into med science at USYD, and since i didn't do physics in highschool ..i'm afraid i might struggle with it. I've been hearing from people that physics isn't compulsory at UNSW for first year med sci ... and i'm just wondering if it is the same for USYD?

Thanks in advance!

Aysce

HSC
In USYD you can either choose 12 credit points of physics or psychology OR even both ie. 6 cp for physics, 6 cp for psychology. So it's not really compulsory since you can choose psychology over it. Although, think about what you might want to major in as some require (not formally but if you lack it you may find the major quite difficult) at least a junior unit of Physics.

I'm in the same boat as you but I'm planning to bridge and take the fundamental physics units since I don't really need much physics knowledge, only really the basics for 1 of my majors.

And I finally see another Med Scier at USYD haha.

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
Physics isn't compulsory in med science. You can swap it out for psychology.

tickleyouemo

HSC
In USYD you can either choose 12 credit points of physics or psychology OR even both ie. 6 cp for physics, 6 cp for psychology. So it's not really compulsory since you can choose psychology over it. Although, think about what you might want to major in as some require (not formally but if you lack it you may find the major quite difficult) at least a junior unit of Physics.

I'm in the same boat as you but I'm planning to bridge and take the fundamental physics units since I don't really need much physics knowledge, only really the basics for 1 of my majors.

And I finally see another Med Scier at USYD haha.
Ohh i see .... I think i might have to take the bridging course then. I read about the dates for bridging courses somewhere .. but i forgot where .. do you know when it is?
What are you planning to major in btw?

Haha i haven't seen anyone else doing med sci at usyd either ... you're probably the first :)

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
Don't take the bridging course it won't help!!

Just do fundamental physics. Gosh.

I did the regular course without the bridging course, HSC physics, and zero effort and did fine.

Just put in effort for fundies and you'll do well.

Aysce

HSC
Ohh i see .... I think i might have to take the bridging course then. I read about the dates for bridging courses somewhere .. but i forgot where .. do you know when it is?
What are you planning to major in btw?

Haha i haven't seen anyone else doing med sci at usyd either ... you're probably the first :)
Here is the link for bridging if you're interested: http://sydney.edu.au/science/fstudent/undergrad/entry/bridging.shtml#4

I plan on majoring in Anatomy and Histology & Physiology :)

What about you? I might catch you and most likely will in a few lectures :p

Don't take the bridging course it won't help!!

Just do fundamental physics. Gosh.

I did the regular course without the bridging course, HSC physics, and zero effort and did fine.

Just put in effort for fundies and you'll do well.
woop woop

I'll keep this in mind.

Are you still staying in USYD or heading off?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
woop woop

I'll keep this in mind.

Are you still staying in USYD or heading off?
I don't know! :(

Also my friend did PHYS1001 and had no HSC physics or bridging course and she got a HD
And my friend in PHYS1002 (fundies) did the same.

They're both crazy smart though.
She was the DUX of a top 50 school and he does BMusic/MBBS

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)