Is picking bachelor of science a good idea? (1 Viewer)

cloud_berry

HSC
So i know i’m interested in microbiology, but i can’t decide if i’m more interested in ecological stuff or medical stuff which is why i’ve just been applying to a bachelor of science at universities instead of anything specific. Is this a good idea to figure out what i like best? I’m assuming in a bachelor of science you can pick what you specifically major in after a year. Also do they look at your maths mark specifically when applying? Because i am kinda bad at maths (doing standard btw)

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
So i know i’m interested in microbiology, but i can’t decide if i’m more interested in ecological stuff or medical stuff which is why i’ve just been applying to a bachelor of science at universities instead of anything specific. Is this a good idea to figure out what i like best? I’m assuming in a bachelor of science you can pick what you specifically major in after a year. Also do they look at your maths mark specifically when applying? Because i am kinda bad at maths (doing standard btw)
You can pick a major after a year, but you need to have some idea of what subjects might be necessary for it. As often in the first year you need to complete certain courses for that major, like for instance things in the biology degrees probably have similar first year courses, but that would be entirely different to what's in the chemistry or physics degrees. You will have to just at the uni handbooks to find out about. Also, the maths requirements are different for each type of degree and major, which you will also have to look for in the handbook as it will outline what is assumed if there are any subjects.

totally_screwed

Baddest Member
HSC
idk about other uni's but at usyd, BSc has maths prerequisites (at least B4 in 2u maths and/or at least E3 in mx1/mx2) so yes they look at your marks, std maths apparently does not meet this minimum requirement however you have a few nice options to deal with that, you can read about them here. one of these options is doing this online maths course (on calculus) and sitting an exam afterwards

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
BSc is a very flexible degree so you got plenty of options. If you apply at UNSW i'm pretty sure there aren't any prereqs in comparison to sydney uni.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)