• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Is Rayon a suitable biopolymer for the biopolymer research dot point? (1 Viewer)

taxman

make poverty
HSC
I've got an assessment task to do over the holidays based around this dot-point in section 2 of the syllabus.

* Use availiable evidence to gather and present fata from secondary soucres and analyse progress in the recent development and use of a named bioplymer....etc, etc

On the new HSC online, Rayon is not listed as a biopolymer to use, but it is a biopolymer with what seems to have the most information available, with some info in both the Excel and Chemistry Contexts text books.

So, is Rayon ok to use for this assignment? Or do I have to research PHA/PHB/etc with which there is little information, and if it is, it is written in a way which is almost impossible to comprehend.

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
First of all may I suggest that you do in fact do something you know is a recent biopolymer? True, information is sparse if you rush through trying to find information quickly, however you will find plenty of information if you are more careful.

You see, rayon may be a biopolymer, but it is certainly not new and I am quite sure I read somewhere that things like nylon and polyester took it's place - so there is no recent development of it which you CAN research.

You may wish to choose PHA/PHB/PLA or another and do a forum search. I'm sure some information will turn up which will give you some starting points.

I specifically have a site for you to use which is quite comprehensive on Poly(Lactic Acid):

http://www.lactic.com/triptyque.htm

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Oh okay. Thanks for that...now I understand why Rayon wasn't recommended.

That site is great by the way.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)