is this allowed idk how copyright works ngl (1 Viewer)

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
i have a bunch of resources from tutoring centres ive been to as well as a lot from those which i haven't been to which i got from others. basically a lot of stuff for the subject i did.

am i legally allowed to sell these resources off to people?? i heard that printed versions dont count idk.

also im leaning towards just not selling it bc to me its ethically and morally incorrect to do so and not a way which i would want to make money off IP/products which aren't mine. i mean i did buy some due to tutoring but idk if im allowed it so what does the legal side of things have to say

ALSO am i allowed to use these resources when i tutor people eg giving them questions from a booklet?

WeiWeiMan

HSC
i have a bunch of resources from tutoring centres ive been to as well as a lot from those which i haven't been to which i got from others. basically a lot of stuff for the subject i did.

am i legally allowed to sell these resources off to people?? i heard that printed versions dont count idk.

also im leaning towards just not selling it bc to me its ethically and morally incorrect to do so and not a way which i would want to make money off IP/products which aren't mine. i mean i did buy some due to tutoring but idk if im allowed it so what does the legal side of things have to say

ALSO am i allowed to use these resources when i tutor people eg giving them questions from a booklet?
kinda cringe selling and i think it might be illegal to profit off of it
i'd say just dm me the 4u ones plz

goodcat911

HSC

Hey synthesisFR, let's break free from the chains of conventional thinking! Forget the ethical discourse for a moment and imagine a world where individuals control the flow of knowledge. Selling those private tuition resources? It's a rebellion against the corporate stronghold on education. You've paid for it, so why not liberate those materials and empower the masses? Tear down the barriers, be the Robin Hood of academia, and redistribute the learning wealth. You're not just selling resources; you're challenging the establishment, giving power back to the people, and making education fair for everyone. It's time to redefine the rules and be the revolutionary force that shifts the balance of knowledge in favour of the individuals.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Hey synthesisFR, let's break free from the chains of conventional thinking! Forget the ethical discourse for a moment and imagine a world where individuals control the flow of knowledge. Selling those private tuition resources? It's a rebellion against the corporate stronghold on education. You've paid for it, so why not liberate those materials and empower the masses? Tear down the barriers, be the Robin Hood of academia, and redistribute the learning wealth. You're not just selling resources; you're challenging the establishment, giving power back to the people, and making education fair for everyone. It's time to redefine the rules and be the revolutionary force that shifts the balance of knowledge in favour of the individuals.
Yes but by that thinking I should just upload them for free lol
I don’t want to sell them per say because I alr said it’s not the right way to earn money for me personally so I won’t do it

Aeonium

HSC
N/A

here's my take as someone who has this option
1. copyright is scary. i have images saved of matrix lawsuits (put them into a hsc meme video). risk depends on company and who you share it to – if it's a public folder or private.
2. i have friends who work at most known places and as such i don't share stuff out of respect for their work (they gotta make the hustle)
3. yep it's someone else's work but you can frame it as the educational academic benefits people can receive through distributing stuff
4. tutoring can be unethical – it is gaming the system and is expensive asf and most places only care about the result they produce rather than the educational benefit of the students

if you try hard enough you can find stuff 👍 or if you have enough cool friends they'll give you stuff

overall: i personally only share stuff to really certain people – close friends (i get them to buy me boba/cheap af food bcz be fr it's a fair deal one of my friends owes me FOUR bobas) and some people who've graduated and are starting to tutor (often cases both LOL; they charge reasonable rates/are cool so yay!) AND if it's not too much effort like some stuff is literally impossible to share OH AND IF THEY'RE NOT SNITCHES 🔫 I DON'T HAVE ANYTHING (literally want to upload my stuff into a hard drive and beat it up in a rage room post hsc).

i just read the last bit nothing is stopping you from ripping qns and tbh i'd encourage it (to an extent, maybe try make qns urself because if you're tutoring it's probably good practice) – why would you try make qns for the whole of 4u if kurt & du & ngo etc. have done it (they also have ripped from places; du has ripped from unsw actl stuff before, project has scaffolded questions from international mathematics olympiads). the most important thing is having good questions – doesn't matter where they come from

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC

@jimmysmith560

here's my take as someone who has this option
1. copyright is scary. i have images saved of matrix lawsuits (put them into a hsc meme video). risk depends on company and who you share it to – if it's a public folder or private.
2. i have friends who work at most known places and as such i don't share stuff out of respect for their work (they gotta make the hustle)
3. yep it's someone else's work but you can frame it as the educational academic benefits people can receive through distributing stuff
4. tutoring can be unethical – it is gaming the system and is expensive asf and most places only care about the result they produce rather than the educational benefit of the students

sooo yes or nah

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes, you can sell your own physical resources to other people, even if they are copyrighted. A popular example is textbooks, which are copyrighted material. Despite being subject to copyright, used physical textbooks are regularly sold on websites such as BoS and Gumtree. However, copyright infringement may occur when the resource that you intend to sell is digital (or when you own a digital copy of a physical resource). This is because unlimited digital copies can be sold. In such a case, there is a risk that you are illegally profiting from another person's/organisation's copyrighted resource. Thus, unless you have been granted the right to sell the resource electronically, you cannot do so. I believe that this is also part of the reason that digital copyrighted material cannot be shared/sold on BoS, as it poses a legal risk to the site (which happened before). Conversely, you can sell digital material as you please if you are the author (for example, if you created your own mathematics worksheets).

On the other hand, whether you choose to sell physical resources based on your ethical and moral values is up to you. While it is definitely commendable that you respect other people's/organisations' work, I think that you can still sell physical resources without having to feel bad about doing so.

You are welcome to sell your resources in the Buy/Sell forum. However, please ensure that you read the relevant forum rules before posting.

In terms of tutoring, if you are offering private tutoring, you can use any resource as part of your sessions. Where you cannot use copyrighted material for such purposes without permission is if you are running a tutoring centre, in which case you would be treated as a legitimate business, and would therefore be at risk of copyright infringement.

I hope this helps! :D

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
Yes, you can sell your own physical resources to other people, even if they are copyrighted. A popular example is textbooks, which are copyrighted material. Despite being subject to copyright, used physical textbooks are regularly sold on websites such as BoS and Gumtree. However, copyright infringement may occur when the resource that you intend to sell is digital (or when you own a digital copy of a physical resource). This is because unlimited digital copies can be sold. In such a case, there is a risk that you are illegally profiting from another person's/organisation's copyrighted resource. Thus, unless you have been granted the right to sell the resource electronically, you cannot do so. I believe that this is also part of the reason that digital copyrighted material cannot be shared/sold on BoS, as it poses a legal risk to the site (which happened before). Conversely, you can sell digital material as you please if you are the author (for example, if you created your own mathematics worksheets).

On the other hand, whether you choose to sell physical resources based on your ethical and moral values is up to you. While it is definitely commendable that you respect other people's/organisations' work, I think that you can still sell physical resources without having to feel bad about doing so.

You are welcome to sell your resources in the Buy/Sell forum. However, please ensure that you read the relevant forum rules before posting.

In terms of tutoring, if you are offering private tutoring, you can use any resource as part of your sessions. Where you cannot use copyrighted material for such purposes without permission is if you are running a tutoring centre, in which case you would be treated as a legitimate business, and would therefore be at risk of copyright infringement.

I hope this helps! :D
do you know if it's fine to take questions from all sorts of places e.g tutoring material, textbooks and uni material and compile and distribute the compilation?

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
do you know if it's fine to take questions from all sorts of places e.g tutoring material, textbooks and uni material and compile and distribute the compilation?
If the compilation is a physical resource, and if it is being distributed within a small group of students (as would likely be the case of private tutoring), then it should be fine. :)

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
If the compilation is a physical resource, and if it is being distributed within a small group of students (as would likely be the case of private tutoring), then it should be fine. :)
so if it's online i could get yeeted? i've seen some pretty similar/standard qns get copypasted e.g deriving the result

ZakaryJayNicholls

HSC
Uni Grad
I have a bunch of resources from tutoring centres I've been to as well as a lot from those which I haven't been to which I got from others. Basically, a lot of stuff for the subject I did.

Am I legally allowed to sell these resources off to people?? I have heard that printed versions don't count idk.

Also, I'm leaning towards just not selling it because to me its ethically and morally incorrect to do so and not a way which I would want to make money off IP/products which aren't mine. I mean, I did buy some due to tutoring but idk if I'm allowed it so what does the legal side of things have to say.

ALSO, am I allowed to use these resources when I tutor people (e.g. giving them questions from a booklet)?
I agree that it is morally dubious to make money off materials you did not create. I personally never charge people money for resources I have not created or for resources I have created, I only ever charge money for lessons.

Offering tutoring and using those resources as a supplementary material is however a morally excellent choice, as you are selling people your time while giving them the resources free and making them better at the content. You can use any questions you want in tutoring, unless you are contacted and told by the creators not to do so, in which case it is best to use other resources.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
so if it's online i could get yeeted? i've seen some pretty similar/standard qns get copypasted e.g deriving the result
Sometimes it can also depend on how much copyrighted material you are incorporating into your electronic resources. Standard/minor questions may be allowed, although you should definitely seek confirmation beforehand just to be safe.

synthesisFR

School Spirit Skit 1
HSC
Offering tutoring and using those resources as a supplementary material is however a morally excellent choice, as you are selling people your time while giving them the resources free and making them better at the content. You can use any questions you want in tutoring, unless you are contacted and told by the creators not to do so, in which case it is best to use other resources.
Okay thanks for the clarification!

Aeonium

HSC
N/A
Sometimes it can also depend on how much copyrighted material you are incorporating into your electronic resources. Standard/minor questions may be allowed, although you should definitely seek confirmation beforehand just to be safe.
jimmy just in case i upload these to bos i have definitely consulted the copyright owners !!!! i LOVE copyright !!! and capitalism !!! and tutoring !!! i HATE the middle and lower classes !! i HATE the taxes imposed upon extremely rich individuals !! i LOVE wealth inequality (the gini coefficient in all countries should be ONE) !!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)