• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

is this correct? (1 Viewer)

muttiah

Banned
HSC
In the lead acid cell the reaction at the anode is
Pb ( s ) + SO4^-2 --> PbSO4 ( s ) + 2e^-
This is so because the lead which experiences oxidation loses 2 electrons. So now there is excess positive ions on the anode side. To compensate for this the negative sulphate ions neutralize the positive ions and form lead sulphate.

is the explanation i gave correct?

also.. whats this thing about anode and cathode being swapped in electrolytic cells.. is lithium idioine and lead acid batteries electroylytic cells.. if so does the cathode undergo oxidation?

Last edited:

toadstooltown

1337 }{4><
HSC
N/A
I don't know about the last part, or if it is in the syllabus but the first part is correct. Remember, however, that half equations only tell you what's happening at one part of the battery. Those two electrons aren't so much given up freely as Pb not minding losing them and PbO2 kinda wanting them, even if only connected by a wire. I don't think detailed explainations of the chemistry like that are necessary though. Equations for Annode, Cathode and Net (with voltages, if able to remember) with a statement about being reversable and how H2SO4 is used up etc. will easily fulfil the dot-point.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)