• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Islam (1 Viewer)

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Jacks said:
When I say God I just mean God...I believe in God in a similar way that muslims do, or at least to the extent to which I understand it. I've never believed in Jesus as being God as I believe that Jesus was on Earth to teach us how to better serve God, as a creation of God, but not God.

As far as what Jesus looked like goes the pictures of him are representations...to make it easier to comprehend the concept, since he was a real person Christianity isn't against having representations of Jesus. I understand that muslims reject anthropomorphic concepts of Allah and any notion of incarnation, and that it is a sin to do so, since the 112th Sura of the Qur’an expresses the unique nature of Allah “…there is none like unto Him.” Christians now are adopting the same idea, the only reason some Christians refer to God as anything specific such as male is because our religious texts are written and interpreted from a male perspective. Though we are now beginning to understand that limiting God to ‘male’ denies the fullness of God and diminishes God. Feminist theology deals with these ideals, though you'd probably have to study it to understand what I'm saying. While we may seem to have models of divinity (representations of God) we do still understand that God isn't male, can't be represented by anything or anyone...similar to what Muslims believe...younger children may be confused by references to Him etc...but if you really look into the religion many are trying to move away from such representations of God.

We celebrate the rising of Jesus from the dead...that is the idea of new life, rather than his death. Easter eggs obviously represent new life, you know. Though I agree Easter has become a lot more about eating chocolate than anything else, same goes with christmas, it's more about getting presents than the birth of Jesus...a lot of things have become commercial these days...it's good if you like presents and chocolates...but I don't eat chocolate :|
This feminist crap should have no place in the referance to God, as He is the Father and Mary is the mother of Jesus, how can The Father be a woman?
As for women in the ministery, i can see why its acceptable

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
Islam promotes that women and men are equal in the eyes of Allah, even so heaps of Muslim women have lead countries such as Benizir Bhutto (Pakistan), Megawati Soekarnoputri (Indonesia). Its only parts of the quran which say women must be modest which in turn the same things r in the bible and are to an extent but practised differently.

ihavenothing

M.L.V.C.
HSC
soha said:
from what i know easter is the celebration of spring
like the easter show..with baby animals and plants and jams and etc
and rabbits and giving out presents like chocolate eggs etc.. is a pagon celebration that christians have adapted..because they fell under the same time..
back in the pagon days..could be wrong..
i dunno..thats what i learnt neways
To sum extent this is true because easter was adapted from many pagan beliefs, as does a lot of christmas ideals (yule log & xmas tree), but halloween is completely pagan based and was spread popularity in america from the irish.

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
ihavenothing said:
To sum extent this is true because easter was adapted from many pagan beliefs, as does a lot of christmas ideals (yule log & xmas tree), but halloween is completely pagan based and was spread popularity in america from the irish.
Yeah, but Halloween is now only a holiday, its got nothing to do with any modern day religion, except for ur new-age religions

firehose

HSC
soha said:
from what i know easter is the celebration of spring
like the easter show..with baby animals and plants and jams and etc
and rabbits and giving out presents like chocolate eggs etc.. is a pagon celebration that christians have adapted..because they fell under the same time..
back in the pagon days..could be wrong..
i dunno..thats what i learnt neways
That's the most random thing i've ever heard. Easter is to celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection, that his sacrifice and reincarnation is a symbol of his victory over evil, bringing true hope for us all.

It is NOT some random festival that Christians adapted from some pagans.

You would obviously get upset when someone wrongfully accuses Islam, so don't return the favour.

Now lets all celebrate Easter ( + 4 days off for u who don't celebrate Easter itself) :)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
firehose said:
That's the most random thing i've ever heard. Easter is to celebrate Jesus' death and resurrection, that his sacrifice and reincarnation is a symbol of his victory over evil, bringing true hope for us all.

You would obviously get upset when someone wrongfully accuses Islam, so don't return the favour.

Now lets all celebrate Easter ( + 4 days off for u who don't celebrate Easter itself) :)
um..i wanst talking about the christian belief of easter
i was talking about the easter bunny and what that resembles
coz chocolate bunnies have no significance to the death of"jesus"
i didnt say anything wrong..i stated what easter was..and how the spring celebration intertwines with the religous celebreation

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
firehose said:

Yes but the eggs and i also think the date has some connection with a pagan festival, in fact alot of Christian holidays have pagan connections, this is so that the Catholic and Christians could more easily assimilate other ppl into the religion

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
physician said:
u enter a mosque... u stand next to someone u have never met in ur entire life... u offer the prayer not knowing and not caring whether the person beside u is rich.. poor.. educated or uneducated.. but what u do know.. is that they are muslim...

as i said.. the seperation in the picture is incorrect...

u must pray foot to foot, shoulder to shoulder... where no gaps are left for satan to try and sidetrack u from ur prayer and disturb the peace...

I find it funny really how some people look at men with big beards.. as being scary.. because when i actually look at them i feel really happy inside and they make me want to get closer to my religion...
Interesting, very interesting. Doesn't the body odour pose a problem? And what if some 'drops a bomb' is is a.okay to go "ewww" and try and move away? 'Cos that must be awkward.

And whats your version of christmas? Or is there no such corresponding holiday?

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
today i met a girl whos 19 and shes been muslim for 3 months
she is half dutch half italion
she became muslim by asking her muslim friends about islam
but they didnt answer her properly so she studied it herself..found it 2 be the religon 4 her
and yeah thats my story

she said the main reason she was drawn to islam was just how liberated women in islam are
she said everyone thinks they are opressed and shit..but islam liberates them more so then western women

thats her view neways..and i see what she means..then she said what she read about women in koran and hadith was so beautiful it touched her
i was like awh..
and thats my story..whats it like 4 her 2 be muslim..she says its so far so good..except her mum doesnt accept it..
which can be hard living under the same roof just the two of you etc
such is life

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
Interesting, very interesting. Doesn't the body odour pose a problem? And what if some 'drops a bomb' is is a.okay to go "ewww" and try and move away? 'Cos that must be awkward.

um there is no body odour
before salat(prayer)..you must make wudu..which is where u wash yourself before prayer
and do u mean drops a bomb as in passes wind?
coz u dont do that in prayer..and if u do by accident such is life..
maybe if ur a 10 year old kid u might go eww and have a laugh but an adult who is praying..involved in a firm connection with God..doenst stop and think about that stuff

and in prayer we are connected and binded as one..involved in the same action..worshipping God..

christmas is the birth of Propeht and messenger JESUS (PEACE BE UPON HIM)
ACCORDING TO MUSLIMS..WE DONT CELEBRATE IT BUT WE ACKNOWLEDGE IT
whoops caps..
neways..we believ hes a prophet and son of virgin mary and stuff..but not son of god or God or the lord etc
thats all..christmas is just another day

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
soha said:
before salat(prayer)..you must make wudu..which is where u wash yourself before prayer
maybe if ur a 10 year old kid u might go eww and have a laugh but an adult who is praying..involved in a firm connection with God..doenst stop and think about that stuff

and in prayer we are connected and binded as one..involved in the same action..worshipping God..

whoops caps..
neways..we believ hes a prophet and son of virgin mary and stuff..but not son of god or God or the lord etc
But u say that Islam acknowledges VIRGIN Mary, how do u explain the child birth from a virgin

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
soha said:

whoops caps..
In your eyes, is their a difference between a cult and a religion? If so, what is it?

zahid

Sheikh Mujib-ur-Rahman
HSC
soha said:
today i met a girl whos 19 and shes been muslim for 3 months
she is half dutch half italion
she became muslim by asking her muslim friends about islam
but they didnt answer her properly so she studied it herself..found it 2 be the religon 4 her
and yeah thats my story

she said the main reason she was drawn to islam was just how liberated women in islam are
she said everyone thinks they are opressed and shit..but islam liberates them more so then western women

thats her view neways..and i see what she means..then she said what she read about women in koran and hadith was so beautiful it touched her
i was like awh..
and thats my story..whats it like 4 her 2 be muslim..she says its so far so good..except her mum doesnt accept it..
which can be hard living under the same roof just the two of you etc
such is life
It just makes you feel good when you hear this sort of news. :)

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
In your eyes, is their a difference between a cult and a religion? If so, what is it?
cult?...
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

i dont consider islam to be anything like that
i dont follow an authoritarian leader
islam is not extreme or false
according to me neways
i dont live in an unconventional manner..etc

soha

a splendid one to behold
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
How so?

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Integer non nulla at massa varius.
erm..u feel good..u think wow..suphanAllah..this girl has been blessed and guided down the right path
Allah has had mercy on her and shown her the way
u feel happy that someone has chosen the right track and you hope they have a happy and blessed life

by her own free will..she found islam
no one force fed it to her

Arvin Sloane

We are not amused.
HSC
soha said:
cult?...
A religion or religious sect generally considered to be extremist or false, with its followers often living in an unconventional manner under the guidance of an authoritarian, charismatic leader.

i dont consider islam to be anything like that
i dont follow an authoritarian leader
islam is not extreme or false
according to me neways
i dont live in an unconventional manner..etc
It's all a matter of perspective, Isn't it? Your life seems normal because (in a manner of speaking) that’s all you know. And to me with my limited experiences, your life, and actions, seem - odd. But that doesn't make it wrong.

I'm sorry to suggest that Islam is a cult. My questions stem from my ignorance, so forgive me.

I do have some more questions, however, if you would indulge me: What times are the daily prayers? And how long are they? And are you (in case of emergency, caught in traffic, etc.) allowed to miss them? If so what must you do? Similar to the way Jewish can't eat pork, are their foods that are forbidden? What are your views on other religions -- do you feel they are wasting their time, or do you somehow believe that you are, in essence, praying to the same person? Do you feel offended by shows like ‘24’ that continue to show the enemies as people being of Islamic backgrounds? Is their a general vein of anti-Islamic sentiment in today’s media? Do you feel you, if you wished, renounce your religion? Do you feel you could accept your children’s decisions to renounce their religion? Could/Would you marry someone who wasn’t Islamic in faith? How do you accept what can not be proved?

Korn

King of the Universe
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:
Is this aimed at Islam or Catholics?

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
Arvin Sloane said:

Body odour... Actually that's not a problem at all.. infact all i can smell when i pray at a mosque is the beautiful scent of the most beautiful of perfumes...

Ur supposed to enter a mosque clean for such reasons (such as body odour)...

drops a bomb?... some ppl seriously live in fright of the most peaceful of people...
if u were lined up in one row alongside ur entire family... in a state of prayer.. would u fear that someone from ur family would drop a bomb.. and kill u, themsleves and the rest of ur family...?????

well... i have more than 100% trust that no one in my family would do that... neither would any other caring family on this earth...
so why would someone at a mosque drop a bomb to kill their family...?

The mosque is a really beautiful place... and so are the poeple...
Shall i tell u what it was that the prisoners of war at the time of the prophet (pecace be upon him) had to do. in order to be set free...?

well they simply had to teach 10 people how to read the Quran... and that was it.. noting also that these prisoners were able to read arabic..(the language of the Quran)

as for christmas.. there is no version of christmas... we don't celebrate it...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)