• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Isn't it funny how receiving marks can affect your feelings towards a subject?? (3 Viewers)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Well I loved maths because I was doing really well, and now i get myhalf yearly marks back now maths is my least favourite.

Also, I fucking hated English and Physics but i aced the exams and now I love them.

Economics I fell a bit but i still love it.

anyone else change their feelings towards subjects after getting their marks??

*TRUE*

Tiny dancer
HSC
N/A
mmhmm! Yes, I didnt like maths until i recieved my marks for it - i think it just inceased my confidence , i spent less time stressing over it and more thinking about how useful and sensible it was....yes , i totally relate:)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
I hated english more than any english-hating boser until my english teacher told me i have a flair for english :)

and then topped it.

But now im beginning to dislike it again

Foxodi

HSC
Yeah for 6 months I had a secret love for english, but after the half yearlys any affection I had for english is long gone.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
Foxodi said:
Yeah for 6 months I had a secret love for english, but after the half yearlys any affection I had for english is long gone.
death to english lol

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
70th/160 for English but I still fucking hate it to the shit.

ticky2002

HSC
N/A
I used to really like maths.
But I don't anymore.
It's to do with the teacher.
And just yeah, not liking it. :S
So my marks are no longer really good.

I should've listened to my older brother and taken easy subjects and gone well rather then harder ones and trying to go okay... but turning out bad.

LanaAustralia

HSC
Yeah, this is deffiently true with me! My feelings towards a subject often change depending on my marks, and if I get good marks I feel more motivation to do well in the subject. Also the teacher's teaching style has a big impact on me, I don't like teachers who just hand out notes and photocopies all the time, I learn better when they discuss the subject with the class. :)

Sonata

HSC
coming 2nd in english, still dont like english lol
have never come close to the top in physics and i still like it lol
maths is mehh

HSC
yesterday when i got my english mark back i was frustrated because i tried so hard, while this guy who cheated in past exams and never does anything in class, beat me. i was like 'grrrr i fucking hate english, how could a dropkick like him beat me, i need a tutor'. then today i found out i'm fourth in overall assessment rank (beating him by quite a few places) and was like, 'you know what, i LOVE english'... haha.

selablad

HSC
I used to hate chemistry at the start of the year, then I got my marks back and love it...not sure if this is because I loved the assignment we did or because of the marks...but either way, it's my favourite subject (tied with maths)

BackCountrySnow

HSC
but noone likes chem...
except kat, but that'sjust how she is.
I hated chem. Makes me vomit when i think about it.

scarybunny

Rocket Queen
HSC
It's not unusual. I'm studying motivation in educational psychology at the moment.

The way you perceive your results really affects your motivation.

If your results give you the opportunity to identify where you went wrong and work towards improvement, you're more likely to invest effort in the subject.

If you just see your results as an indicator that the effort you put in came to nothing, you're not going to work hard to improve it.

The trouble with the HSC is that students invariably have performance goals (I'll do this now so I can get into uni) as opposed to mastery goals (I'll do this because I want to know, and it will be useful for me in the future). So lots of people will be in the same boat. A UAI is only so much motivation.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
scarybunny said:
It's not unusual. I'm studying motivation in educational psychology at the moment.

The way you perceive your results really affects your motivation.

If your results give you the opportunity to identify where you went wrong and work towards improvement, you're more likely to invest effort in the subject.

If you just see your results as an indicator that the effort you put in came to nothing, you're not going to work hard to improve it.

The trouble with the HSC is that students invariably have performance goals (I'll do this now so I can get into uni) as opposed to mastery goals (I'll do this because I want to know, and it will be useful for me in the future). So lots of people will be in the same boat. A UAI is only so much motivation.
OMG, so true!!
post of the year.

munchiecrunchie

HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
Well I loved maths because I was doing really well, and now i get myhalf yearly marks back now maths is my least favourite.

Also, I fucking hated English and Physics but i aced the exams and now I love them.

Economics I fell a bit but i still love it.

anyone else change their feelings towards subjects after getting their marks??
Yes.

All of last year I hated chem coz I wasn't doing so well at it.

Then I completely aced one of my exams.

I like chem now.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
munchiecrunchie said:
Yes.

All of last year I hated chem coz I wasn't doing so well at it.

Then I completely aced one of my exams.

I like chem now.
I hate Chemistry since I didn't achieve to my standards. I am completely aware of the fact that it is a pathetic approach. :(

However, I know that I hold certain degree of love towards Chemistry deep down my hearts.

BackCountrySnow

HSC
The posters in this thread have thoroughly discussed the virtues of chemistry. After inviting the brightest 08ers (and Namu) into this forum we have concluded that: CHEM IS FUCKING SHIT!!

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
BackCountrySnow said:
The posters in this thread have thoroughly discussed the virtues of chemistry. After inviting the brightest 08ers (and Namu) into this forum we have concluded that: CHEM IS FUCKING SHIT!!
I actually like Chemistry :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 3)