• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

IT jobs (1 Viewer)

marella

HSC
hey,

im starting an aprrenticeship with a small business and i want to do something with IT and i was wondering what type of apprentcieship would be better as i hope to move on to another job someday, but want an appreticeship that will cover everything.

any ideas?

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
yep, also get novell and ccna qualifications, then you'll be ub3r 1337.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
marella said:
hey,

im starting an aprrenticeship with a small business and i want to do something with IT and i was wondering what type of apprentcieship would be better as i hope to move on to another job someday, but want an appreticeship that will cover everything.

any ideas?
Go to tafe and get a cert. 4 or diploma, enrol for Uni, and then work your way up.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
chicky_pie said:
Go to tafe and get a cert. 4 or diploma, enrol for Uni, and then work your way up.
don't bother with the uni part. you learn pretty much what you need to know in tafe, the only other os you'll learn on the job is unix. finish a diploma at tafe then find a job and work your way up. you're only wasting time and money going to uni longer.

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
icraig88 said:
don't bother with the uni part. you learn pretty much what you need to know in tafe, the only other os you'll learn on the job is unix. finish a diploma at tafe then find a job and work your way up. you're only wasting time and money going to uni longer.

So true, I hear people have 100k + jobs in the IT industry and the only qualification they got was just going to TAFE and finishing a diploma in IT related courses.

:( so jealous.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
  1. Stop fucking around with Apprenticeship-bullshit.
  2. Get a UAI.
  3. Get a degree in a real Computing qualification (anything other than 'IT' or 'Business IT' qualifies).
  4. Write software for Microsoft without assert.h.
what do you mean by real computing qualification?? Comp eng? There aint much jobs for that here in Australia, you will most prob work as a software Eng, which aint very technical either. Also i dont understand what you are studying, comp eng is newly added??

icraig88 said:
Why not get a degree and boost your chances of getting a high end job in a shorter period of time + earn a Recognized Professional Status?? Which will lead you into higher places.

Last edited:

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
Hakz said:
what do you mean by real computing qualification?? Comp eng? There aint much jobs for that here in Australia, you will most prob work as a software Eng, which aint very technical either. Also i dont understand what you are studying, comp eng is newly added??

Why not get a degree and boost your chances of getting a high end job in a shorter period of time + earn a Recognized Professional Status?? Which will lead you into higher places.
You can work yourself up, either TAFE or UNI, when you first land a IT job, you start as a junior, then work yourself up. I don't think a business would hire someone fresh from Uni/TAFE into a senior IT Management job lol.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
chicky_pie said:
You can work yourself up, either TAFE or UNI, when you first land a IT job, you start as a junior, then work yourself up. I don't think a business would hire someone fresh from Uni/TAFE into a senior IT Management job lol.
Nor will I.T tafe graduates get the same starting pay as Uni graduates, cause then whats the point of uni.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
you go and get your novell, microsoft, msce, ccna and any other cisco related certificates from them. there isn't a need for uni. i would much rather have the hands on experience of tafe than the theory of uni.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Ye but its the fact that you have the degree that gives the extra edge in the I.T industry. I am not against the Tafe I.T stuff, but the thing is at tafe, especially with the I.T certificates you just make power points and learn to use ms word, which aint I.T at all.
At uni we learn business stuff, like management, cost analysis, project management, more extensive programming, maths etc. At tafe there is no way you will learn those in a year, it takes us uni students 3-4 years.

--> Also i met a person at the Careers fair and he had done his masters in IT strategic planning, and now his a project manager for an organization up at Sydney. So a degree + masters can get you to high places quickly.

Last edited:

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
politik said:
If an employer was comparing a Computer Science/Computer Engineering/Software Engineering graduate vs an Information Technology graduate, the former would get the job.
If the job title was related to Business computing eg Business analyst, a comp sci/comp eng would have very little chance of geting the job over a B.IT business major person, i would maybe see them getting soft engs cause they do learn a little about project management.
Now as i mentioned the careers fair guy with the IT strategic masters, he got the job due his masters, not because of his degree which was a b.comp eng. Comp eng is only good for systems engineering jobs and hardware type jobs, never good for business stuff.

icraig88

Can I Kick It?
HSC
Hakz said:
Ye but its the fact that you have the degree that gives the extra edge in the I.T industry. I am not against the Tafe I.T stuff, but the thing is at tafe, especially with the I.T certificates you just make power points and learn to use ms word, which aint I.T at all.
At uni we learn business stuff, like management, cost analysis, project management, more extensive programming, maths etc. At tafe there is no way you will learn those in a year, it takes us uni students 3-4 years.

--> Also i met a person at the Careers fair and he had done his masters in IT strategic planning, and now his a project manager for an organization up at Sydney. So a degree + masters can get you to high places quickly.
we work hands on with everything. servers, os, setting up services on all o.s and configuring them, we also do our theory side such as cisco theory and also project management.

on the point of doing it in 3-4 years, you do realise you do a lot of pointless shit in uni such as all the essays and huge assessments which are ridiculous. at tafe it takes 2 years for you to finish your diploma, and there is the added option of the advanced diploma which goes for a semester and also there is separate cisco courses which are run in the evening. so tafe does cover pretty much alot of the stuff that uni does for a fraction of the price.

and yeah you will more than likely get paid more than a tafe student, but that money would probably go towards your hecs fees anywyas.

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
icraig88 said:
we work hands on with everything. servers, os, setting up services on all o.s and configuring them, we also do our theory side such as cisco theory and also project management.

on the point of doing it in 3-4 years, you do realise you do a lot of pointless shit in uni such as all the essays and huge assessments which are ridiculous. at tafe it takes 2 years for you to finish your diploma, and there is the added option of the advanced diploma which goes for a semester and also there is separate cisco courses which are run in the evening. so tafe does cover pretty much alot of the stuff that uni does for a fraction of the price.

and yeah you will more than likely get paid more than a tafe student, but that money would probably go towards your hecs fees anywyas.
lol nothing we learn is useless, its just that you wont most probably have to use it for a while, but that also depends on your job.

Well i like uni and my degree and i dont mind the hecs cause it pays off at the end.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)