• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Its Never Too Late To Start (1 Viewer)

AM04

Hey i did my HSC last year and i am notorious for last mintue efforts. For my Ext Hist proj i changed my entire topic the weeked (3 days) before it was due. I did not begin to write it untill the night before due date. By the morning it was (just) finished. Apart from being quite close to a mental breakdown the adrenalin was great it kept me going and im glad i didnt give up.

EXT HISTORY: 47/50

Abbeygale

HSC
Wow. You do that an awful lot. Its really quite amazing how lightning managed to strike twice. You wrote both your EE2 MW and your Hext MW the night before they were due, and got almost exactly the same mark for the both of them.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
Abbeygale said:
Wow. You do that an awful lot. Its really quite amazing how lightning managed to strike twice. You wrote both your EE2 MW and your Hext MW the night before they were due, and got almost exactly the same mark for the both of them.
i smell a hoax

Abbeygale

HSC
gordo said:
lol did u beleive that?
I assume you're talking to me? No, I was being sarcastic. (Damn inability to demonstrate tone online.) What would give you the idea that I believed it?

AM04

ah ok i really dont know what my motivation would be in making that story up considering i am now at uni and i do not possess a demonic evil spirit wanting to bring you all down. The only reason i even gave feedback was because someone replied to a post i wrote last year. Yes my ext 2 english mark was similar (although one mark higher) but i dont understand how that would disprove thier accuracy? Anyhow i only wrote it to encourage people like me who are unable to organise themselves before the last mintue so if you want to be pessimistic thats your choice.

Abbeygale

HSC
A lack of motivation for lying does not make something truth. And I commented on the similarity between the marks, as a part of a larger similarity between the two stories. It seems odd- if you ended up writing your MW in a rush for HExt, why did you go on to leave your EE2 major til the last minute as well? Shouldn't you have learned by then that its no fun doing that?
It does happen, the last minute masterpieces. Every school has the stories of the person who didn't study but got 95, the boy who started the PIP only a week before and won a prize for it, etc. But is it really helpful to highight these cases? They're aberrations- the majority of good MWs come from consistent effort over a decent period of time, not the night before. Most people who found themselves in your situation would be lucky to get a pass mark back. The majority of teenagers are prone to procrastination. Rather than encourage the 1% of students who are capable of pulling it together in a short space of time, this sort of story probably just gives our inner slacker fodder for those moments when we're thinking 'I don't really have to do it right now.'
There is a difference between realism and pessimism.

Atticus.

how do i get out of this
HSC
AM04 said:
ah ok i really dont know what my motivation would be in making that story up considering i am now at uni and i do not possess a demonic evil spirit wanting to bring you all down. The only reason i even gave feedback was because someone replied to a post i wrote last year. Yes my ext 2 english mark was similar (although one mark higher) but i dont understand how that would disprove thier accuracy? Anyhow i only wrote it to encourage people like me who are unable to organise themselves before the last mintue so if you want to be pessimistic thats your choice.
i love posting this

AM04

forgive me abbeygale

Abbeygale i'm sorry i upset you i do not believe my lack of organisation is a virtue nor did i endorse it. Quite frankly if someone read my post and thought that just because it happened to me it will definatly happen to them is quite wrong, further more if they do not have the mental capacity to understand the likely consiquences of leaving it to the last minute should not be doing 4 unit.

However my post was (more to the point) directed at those people who at this time feel that they should give up because they havn't formulated thier idea yet etc. Not telling people who are well on thier way to stop!

have some common sense

X

xeuyrawp

AM04 said:
However my post was (more to the point) directed at those people who at this time feel that they should give up because they havn't formulated thier idea yet etc. Not telling people who are well on thier way to stop!

have some common sense
I'd prefer people who constructively say that it's better to start early. In any case, I don't believe that you got 47/50 for the course- I got that mark for my EE2 major work- it was tad rushed, too, but there was no "night before" shit. Didn't your markers look at your research? What was your topic?

AM04

topic

my topic was as i recall it something along the lines of "The extent to which aborigines were murdered in the 19th century" e.g. contemplating genocide etc.

X

xeuyrawp

AM04 said:
my topic was as i recall it something along the lines of "The extent to which aborigines were murdered in the 19th century" e.g. contemplating genocide etc.
The extent to which aborigines were murdered....?

Well I gues syou should be happy that you got a good mark.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)