• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Its not about the chemistry... (1 Viewer)

aussieskat

HSC
We just got our half yearly marks back...and mine wernt so good, well comparitivley they were good...but the mark was NOT good...anyways, i figure its jsut not about the chemistry anymore. The markers want answears to questions, they dont care if you know chemistry or not. If you can learn the answeaer to every general question (and it is possible) you can do so well. If you just write down the answear to a general question you can get full marks.!! you cant apply chemistry anymore...cause its only about answaers to questions!!

it sucks...im not good at remembering stuff!!!

rama_v

HSC
aussieskat said:
We just got our half yearly marks back...and mine wernt so good, well comparitivley they were good...but the mark was NOT good...anyways, i figure its jsut not about the chemistry anymore. The markers want answears to questions, they dont care if you know chemistry or not. If you can learn the answeaer to every general question (and it is possible) you can do so well. If you just write down the answear to a general question you can get full marks.!! you cant apply chemistry anymore...cause its only about answaers to questions!!

it sucks...im not good at remembering stuff!!!
Chemistry is not half as bad as physics in that aspect. The important thing is to buckle down and study hard, and then prepare yourself for when you do real chemistry - at uni :)

wrath

Actuarial Studies
HSC
You are quite correct, Physics and Chemistry are no longer looking for understanding, but rather "Assessing" & "Evaluating", if you know what i mean.

Anyway if you play to study chemistry at uni, i suggest you focus on understanding as well. If you dont plan on doing chem at uni, then there is no point.

In my case, i finished HSC last year, got 90 in my HSC, and didnt really bother much with understanding. I am not doing chemisty in uni now.

yoakim

CBMI, MPH, AAP, MSF
HSC
...that.. is sooo strange!...
I'll give you guys a simple question for chemistry, tell us HOW to answer this question...
'Explain why metals conduct electricity.'

insert-username

Wandering the Lacuna
HSC
'Explain why metals conduct electricity.'
Since the question has "explain", you need to go into a little detail. Something like:

Metals at the atomic level are composed of metal ions surrounded by a 'sea' of delocalised electrons that aren't attached to any particular metal ion and can hence move around fairly easily. It is this sea of delocalised electrons that allows metals to conduct electricity (which is a flow of electrons).

I_F

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)