Itw Help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (1 Viewer)

CopperBoom

HSC
ok so i have looked at all the threads.
i have printed off the FAQ.
but no matter what i do, i cant seem to get good marks for this module.
any advice?!?!

gonutsmate

HSC
Become at peace with the wild, then you shall realise its importance

/bullshit

haaychlovesdan

KIK ASS PREMIUM MEMBER
HSC
Know yur texts.
Watch or Read them over and over.
Also you know the question has to incorporate context so research about the world at the time you texts were written and any link that has to mans relationship with nature.

CopperBoom

HSC
This whole module is shit.
The highest marks I can manage for it is a 15/20, because there is just something I'm missing, but I don't know what!! And I generally get about a 17 - 20/20... Stupid BR and BNW

friction

HSC
I dont get ITW especially with the 2 gay texts that i am doing that is The Golden Age and Throwim Way Leg. To be honest its not really about the wild.

CopperBoom

HSC
Eh the whole thing is better of gone. I just can't get my head around the concept properly. I thought I could, but apparently not.

danz90

HSC
Remember to not take 'In the wild' literally - in the wild may refer to a society that has been stripped bare of the social protocols and orders that define it as a civilisation and keep it protected from elements that may undermine its integrity. hence, it is in a 'metaphoric' wild.. as it is exposed to the dynamic, unpredictable nature of the wilderness.

Lordie

HSC
Well I can't stress it enough - Context, Context, CONTEXT. The module stresses "Texts and Contexts". You need to talk a lot about what was happening in the era, then weave quotes and techniques through your response to show you know what you are talking about.

Example, "The rise of totalitarian regimes in Huxley's era is highlighted by the satirical name given to Lenina, referring to the rising leader Lenin. This shows...yada yada"

Or, "The opening scene of Blade Runner depicts a society filled with industrial ruin, stressing the concern in Scott's era of environmental destruction through extreme globalisation..." etc. etc.

Make sure you show similarities and differences, and don't blabber on about crapola! Heh.

Saying this, the best mark I've gotten is 17. :( But I know this is what is expected to get the top marks.

Hope it helps.

charlesdinio

HSC
ITW relies heavily on ur ability to bullcrap..

Just go crazy;)

no one REALLY understands it anyway.. haha

Kalashnikov47

HSC
charlesdinio said:
ITW relies heavily on ur ability to bullcrap..

Just go crazy;)

no one REALLY understands it anyway.. haha
i seriously dont like the title of the module "in the wild"

So WTF is the "wild".

According to longman dictionary, Wild: living or growing in natural conditions and have natural qualities.
But humanity is natural! the quest for science and a better life by social engineering is NATURAL aspect of human life!
Apart from the ambiguity of the module title, everything is fine~~~the texts I study are great~~~the questions are usually easy

gonutsmate

HSC
For bladerunner and brave new world, all you have to talk about is how nature has been degraded/removed/marginalized/etc in the two texts. Discuss how this changes or affects the 'humanity' of the characters. These are the values presented or the points raised in the text. Remember its a comparative study so comparison is required duh.

The second part is relating points or values raised to contexts.
Research the 1920s - 1930s and the 1980s.
Relate what the composers are saying to what possibly could have influenced them to do so, socially, historically, culturally blah blah.

Ie. the bustling city devoid of nature/human emotion is filled with giant advertisments. Scott is reflecting on the introduction of television advertising and technology (bullshiz) Not good example

CopperBoom

HSC
Kalashnikov47 said:
OMG~~~in the wild is heaps easy~~~wot r ur texts?

maybe i can help

im doing blade runner and brave new world.
i just hate it. i can do anything that is straight forward.
this is not.
lol.

thanks guys :)

Hatta

HSC
Heh, I get good marks for ITW, last assessment was 27/30 written the night before. /gloating, I'll get to helping now.

It makes things a lot easier if you think of "in the wild" as the removal of familiarity, just be sure to provide a definition of your own understanding of itw in your intro. General bits about BNW/BR (without giving up too much of my pre-planned essay):

BNW
  • John is not familiar with anything in the World State. The ethics, values etc that he has learned from Shakespeare have been subverted or destroyed.
  • Helmholtz feels isolated because of his mental difference, and spends the novel struggling to free himself. His involvement in a soma-riot with John is impulsive, and impulsiveness has been conditioned out of most of the World State for the sake of stability. As such, his emotions at this stage are unfamiliar, and by breaking away from the expectations of an Alpha he casts himself into the wild.
  • There are lots of other characters, such as Bernard (twice), Linda and to a degree Lenina that get cast into the wild. No offense, but figure them out yourself, it's better than reading my nonsense.
BR
  • Clearly, Deckard gets cast into the wild when he is hunted by Roy in the Bradbury apartments. As a Blade Runner (or ex), he is used to being the hunter. Being persued in such a fashion makes him fearful, and as such, impulsive, erratic, "irrational".
  • There're really too many to list, it can apply to most characters. J.F Sebastian, Tyrell, Roy, Rachael etc. all get cast into or enter the wild in one way or another, it's just a matter of picking the ones you can argue best.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)