• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

japanese ettiquette (1 Viewer)

is a roflcopter
HSC
are they really always that fucken polite?
im watching some dramas and all they fucken say is onegai and shit

is this for real?

is a roflcopter
HSC
"please"

and this other one
dunno how to spell it
sueshimasu?

"excuse me"

kendra

The Japanese are extremely polite as i discovered on my short exchange trip to Osaka just over a year ago...they are also extremely hospitable when taking care of their guests (especially if you're a foreign tourist)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Yes! Guests always get anything they want, which means you shouldn't ask for anything otherwise you're very rude.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
oh yeh... i've noticed that alot when i watch these jap dramas on satellite...

there was also this "modern ettiquette" show on satellite too and they were in japan and there's so much stuff... like how it's 'polite' to burp & make a certain level of noise when drinking a soup (of course not too loud) at a restuarant as it is a 'compliment' to the chef

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Actually I don't think bodily noises are considered polite (burping etc). However it is expected that you will slurp your noodles, because eating them slowly (and hence quietly) is an indication that you don't like them, or there is something wrong with them. However, you should only do with with Japanese noodles. Don't be like the Westerner in Tanpopo who slurped his Spaghetti.

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
well it was slurping something.. alot of stuff to do in the jap restuarants... wasn't quite sure and wasn't paying attention... was channel surfin as usual :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)