• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Japanese Magic Permanent Hair Straightening (1 Viewer)

Is it 'out'/passe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tlodg

HSC
N/A
What do you think of it? Does it last?

Skeeta

HSC
it lasts until it grows out

a girl in my course gets it done but its ridiculously expensive
(around 300 bucks everytime you get it done)

for that price you can buy a top of the line hair straightener that will last more than a few months (so therefore i wouldnt do it)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
but I heard the straightener is very damaging to the hair.....
it's like using a sizzling hot iron to burn-flat your hair everytime you use....and you have to use it many times too

Skeeta

HSC
tlodg said:
but I heard the straightener is very damaging to the hair.....
it's like using a sizzling hot iron to burn-flat your hair everytime you use....and you have to use it many times too
you can lessen the damage by treating your hair properly

and its not exactly like that. its designed specifically for hair, they're not as damaging as they used to be. You can get away (with a good one) using it only after you wash your hair. And it lasts up to a week. Your hair will end up worse if you do other things as well including dyeing/bleaching.

also with hair straighteners you have the opportunity to have your hair curly also

If i had the money id probably get that other stuff done, but i like mys traightener and i dont particularly wanna spend ~1000 bucks a year on my hair

tlodg

HSC
N/A
brogan77 said:
What is this Magic Japan Hair thing u speak of??
Finally, we speak the same language..

Usually only asian salons have it
it's this process they do to your hair (not sure about the details) but after it is done, your hair will become very straight like the one in this picture:

I have seen some "failures" before
for example the hair gets extremely dry and frizzy after that....

Skeeta

HSC
my hair is also afro curly, but it has always straightened really easily

and its short. so alot of time is lost there

so yeah it does depend on your hair i think. (i have friends with hair less curly than mine, that just wont straighten)

tlodg

HSC
N/A
Skeeta said:
you can lessen the damage by treating your hair properly

and its not exactly like that. its designed specifically for hair, they're not as damaging as they used to be. You can get away (with a good one) using it only after you wash your hair. And it lasts up to a week. Your hair will end up worse if you do other things as well including dyeing/bleaching.

also with hair straighteners you have the opportunity to have your hair curly also

If i had the money id probably get that other stuff done, but i like mys traightener and i dont particularly wanna spend ~1000 bucks a year on my hair
wow
i didn't know it lasts for a week
r u sure it is $300?! on average

Skeeta

HSC
tlodg said:
wow
i didn't know it lasts for a week
r u sure it is $300?! on average
haha no i'm saying a top quality hair straightener can keep your hair straight for a week (but you can use the straightener over and over and over)

This thing you're talking about keeps your hair straight until it grows out. LIke dye does

tlodg

HSC
N/A
kathelle said:
Are we talking about chemical straightening (like a perm, but straight) or thermal reconditioning?
I guess chemical straightening...
I don't know what thermal reconditioning is

tlodg

HSC
N/A
kathelle said:
If you are talking about Thermal Reconditioning, which I think you are, then I have had it done. My hair was afro curly before and it is now a nice natural straight. My hair didn't take very well to it and I had to have it done twice (second time was free, because it was only one week afterwards). My hair is naturally very brittle, much to my dismay, but it didn't damage my hair too badly.

I have to say that it has been one of the best decisions I have ever made. I look a lot better and it is so easy to manage. However I do briefly straighten it every so often after washing, so that it looks a bit more polished (and I can get to my roots :eek:)

I think that this only really applies to people with wavy-ish hair. If you have curly hair it can take ages to straighten eg. It used to take me a minimum of 2 hours to straighten my hair with a GHD (or any other straightener) before I went out.

Oh and it cost me $480 (plus another $100 for products)
yeah but it's still worth it
i don't have afro curly hair but my hair is very THICK

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
urm i think i got the hair perm thingy

i got it cheap coz my friends are scary people who bargain :D

it didnt damaged my hair and right now after 2 months its still straight

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
Less than $200 @ ginger salon on sussux st in the city... i think
go have a check

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
$168 i think for straightening...

they straighten (not chemically btw) your hair if u get a cut there anyway ^_^ nice service...

if not, try another asian place near railway square - Kippo.
dunno how much but they have like articles about their straightening services outside...

(^o^)

you stupid crap! *slaps*
HSC
But remember, thermal reconditioning/straightening(?) still damages your hair, but just not as bad as the normal chemical straightening...

Stuff straightening hair (unless you have an afro and you don't really want it), the nice wavy hair is better.

Classic. :)

blu biu

HSC
If you get it done by a professional (salon with a good reputation:p) it should be alright.

Many of my friends have had it done and their hair are just amazing ! then yea .. i've seen some failures that turn out with "frizzy?straight"? hair ... but most of those went to cheap salons overseas or those home oil straightening treatments... which don't really work anyway

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)