Just a little help on cataracts (1 Viewer)

bobfish

HSC
Describe the technology used to prevent blindness from cataracts.

Is the question but yet i have not been able to find technology to prevent this except for wearing Uv glasses take vitamins and eat vegies.

And without knowing the technology used i cannot answer the next question being ' Discuss the implications of this technology for society'

Any help would be appricated thank you

Or would i jsut talk about all the possible things there to 'prevent' cataracts

Last edited:

Buiboi

HSC
N/A
man i havent started communication yet!
but... can you refer to surgery? not sure what the technology is called but it involves the removal of the cataract from the eye, like thye stick a tiny suction tube under the eye lense or something and they suck the cataract out the grey membrane stuff and replace the lens with a new one i think its plastic or some sort of material

hellopian

HSC
I know this is a bit late but just for future reference, you can talk about the surgery, I think, because the question states:

"Describe the technology used to prevent blindness from cataracts."

and not "Describe the technology used to prevent cataracts"

Because while the surgery removes the cataracts it doesn't prevent its formation. (although it could, if you have it done before the cataracts forms.. uhh anyway)

Oh and one of the surgeries is known as Extra-capsular Cataract Extraction (ECCE) and involves the emulsification of the lens through high frequency sound waves (known as phacoemulsification), then removal of most (if not all) of the lens then an artificial lens (intraocular lens) is implanted behind the iris.

Oh and for the implications on society bit, you could discuss the Fred Hollows foundation etc. how they restored eyesight to like 3.5 million people in africa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)