KING LEAR help (1 Viewer)

4jess7lov

HSC
hey all, how do you think we can talk about textual integrity in King Lear? like i have no idea how to go abt a q abt textual integrity? any ideas??

zahmad

HSC
What is textual integrity: read the syllabus requirements, it should become clear to you!

Jake Chief

HSC
I dont think he is stupid... 8 days till exams start and u dont know? Quite the contrary i believe.

Textual Integrity is important for all of Critical Study...

4jess7lov

HSC
i know what textual integrity IS...i am asking for advice of how to aply it to king lear

Jake Chief

HSC
well u dont go about finding HOW to apply it by calling people stupid!

Im doing Gwen and we talk about how Her poems are still relevant today by using the Readings, themes and values associated to the text. Then mention our context and always finish with agreeing that the text has textual Integrity through this this and that.

then your finished

Justina

HSC
ok this is what i think -
In relation to KL, you can look at the universal themes and how something written hundreds of years ago still applies to today. Then if you want to link that with diff. interpretions you can talk about KL's versatility and how diff. productions can easily focus on what applies to them regardless of their context. umm, as well as that, i guess you can look at the double plot? Not too sure about that one...but you could talk about how the text sort of has more than one level - diff. layers i mean.
Someone please correct me if i'm wrong

BabyK

HSC
i dunnow im really stuck on king lear my trial question was "Expalin why King Lear is regarded Shakespeares greatest tragedy" lykk whooo sed it was?????? lol aniways ive got the york notes guide 2 king lear nd it explains all the views you need on it and textual integrity etc...so if u can get ur hands on it i fink itll really help you :)

seano77

Walk On
HSC
You need to talk about how Shakespeare composed King Lear in a way that allows people to extract meaning. So I talk about the convoluted relationships to show how a pessimistic interpretation can be made.

Think about:
How does the play as a whole give meaning? Is it the characterisation that influenced you, or was it the concept of power? Was it the deception of Edmund, the insanity of Lear, the abuse from Goneril and Regan or Cordelia's redemptive forgiveness? What influenced the other readings you studied to present the play the way they did? What influences people to extract a certain interpretation?

Justina

HSC
seano77 said:
You need to talk about how Shakespeare composed King Lear in a way that allows people to extract meaning. So I talk about the convoluted relationships to show how a pessimistic interpretation can be made.

Think about:
How does the play as a whole give meaning? Is it the characterisation that influenced you, or was it the concept of power? Was it the deception of Edmund, the insanity of Lear, the abuse from Goneril and Regan or Cordelia's redemptive forgiveness? What influenced the other readings you studied to present the play the way they did? What influences people to extract a certain interpretation?
Ok, bit of a stupid question but what do you mean by 'convoluted relationships'? convoluted relationships, as in the mixing of the two plot lines? And how does that relate to pessimistic/nihilistic interpretations?

frostysnow

HSC
I'm also a bit confused about the definition of textual integrity. To me it means what makes the play run smoothly and coherently. For me it's things like the language and characterisation, parallel plots so the parts of the play ties together, motifs etc.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
BabyK said:
i dunnow im really stuck on king lear my trial question was "Expalin why King Lear is regarded Shakespeares greatest tragedy" lykk whooo sed it was?????? lol aniways ive got the york notes guide 2 king lear nd it explains all the views you need on it and textual integrity etc...so if u can get ur hands on it i fink itll really help you :)
That's a shit question, because it also requires knowledge of all the other Shakespeare tragedies.
The English faculty at your school hates your grade.
Just putting it out there.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Textual integrity means how it is the play's meaning and interpretation has changed over the years.
For example, there was a massive backlash at the fatalistic and nihilistic ending of Lear soon after it was released, so Nahum Tate went and screwed around with the text, changing it to a "happy ending". For about 150 years this version was the mainstay and no-one dared use the original, because it was booed by critics and audiences alike. But by the beginning of the 20th century this version had been reinstated and Tate's had ended, due mostly to a renewed appreciation of Shakespeare's works and life. This trend was given new light after both World Wars and the Great Depression, as nihilism became a popular philosophy, and in the 50's, 60's and 70's the fatalistic emphasis of Lear was the most common and popular.
That answer the question?

HSC
frostysnow said:
I'm also a bit confused about the definition of textual integrity. To me it means what makes the play run smoothly and coherently. For me it's things like the language and characterisation, parallel plots so the parts of the play ties together, motifs etc.
^ That's right. Textual integrity refers to aspects of a text which give it unity - so yeah it's primarily language, structure, style, value etc.

Textual integrity means how it is the play's meaning and interpretation has changed over the years.
^ That's absolute rubbish.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
m.incognito said:
^ That's right. Textual integrity refers to aspects of a text which give it unity - so yeah it's primarily language, structure, style, value etc.

^ That's absolute rubbish.
Meh.
I've been using that interpretation and i keep going well for Lear.
And it fits in with the rubric about various readings and interpretations over the years.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)