King Lear Personal Interpretation (1 Viewer)

zardit

So apparently to gain better marks in our critical study of texts, we not only have to compare different interpretations and productions of King Lear, but also discuss our own interpretation?
I was just wondering, because in a traditional essay form, you're not allowed to say "I" or "my", how are we to put this across? We can't say "My interpretation is thus...", so do we have to just say "Another interpretation..." and then just talk about our own?
Help would be appreciated, and good luck to everyone!

lukebennett

Happy Member
HSC
i dont think saying "i" a few times is much of a problem. if it is your interpretation it is obviously going to be your opinion. the main purpose for not saying "i" is so that you are not being bias etc.
they prefer you to have your own interpretation first, then about two others. people with top marks have done it without a personal interpretation but what they wrote was very thoughtful and they werent just regurgitating different readings in their essays.
you could avoid using "I" in places where you could say: it could be interpreted in such a way as........
i think you could use "I" or "my" in your topic sentence perhaps then avoid "I" throughout the rest.

jellybeenz

HSC
This was my initial concern as well.... But I spoke to this lady on the HSC advice line and she assured me that in this case you can use "I", "In my interpretation..." and "My interpretation which has been shaped by the Feminist and Marxist readings of King Lear... la di da" etc

I was a bit suspicious of this info at first but then I went back and read some sample Band 6 responses and they do use "In my interpretation" and phrases like that. So even if it is a formal essay, I think its pretty okay to state opinion as long as it is backed up by the play and you state how other readings have shaped your interpretation.

At least I hope thats okay. I'm pretty confused myself.

zardit

Great, thanks heaps you guys, and best of luck for doomsday tomorrow!!

jellybeenz

HSC
I just wrote a kind of practice essay this morning and I talked about the readings I am using, the productions that back up the readings and in between I kind of added in my own interpretation which incorporates various elements of the readings and my thoughts on the play.

I wouldn't say that your own interpretation is a huge chunk of an essay just small parts that you can put in when discussing other readings and interpretations... Enough to be noticable that you have given it some thought, not necessarily half an essay on your thoughts... At least thats what I gathered from the woman at HSC advice line.

rsingh

HSC
Could someone give me an example, of where and how exactly to include your own interpretation. A model answer would be aprpeciated!

Thanks.

rusty_rouge

HSC
hey raajiv - ready for tomoro??

dumb question, really... Well, I did it this way:

Intro: then at the end of it, a couple of lines saying which interpretations influenced you the most and why, in your personal interpretation.

First theme: discuss in shakespeare's play and context, and then talk about the readings and productions of it. Explain why these readings influenced you at the end of this discussion.

Second theme: Ditto as for the first

Third theme: Ditto...bla bla bla...

Conclusion: talk about the universal themes crap, then which readings were most influential in forming your intepretation, and why. Then finish with an overall statement about King Lear, and its rlevance in every context...

Does this make any sense??

Well, good luck in english....im too sick to remember my quotes! Oh, its Katie, btw.
Cheers!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)