King Lear Productions & Interpretations (1 Viewer)

ITimber

HSC
hi,

Could you please give me some good king lear productions for:

* Marxist Perspective

* Femenist Perspective

and why they are good for that interpretation.

thanks heaps.

KriStyn*

HSC
ahh i have an assessment atm on the same sorta thing... DRIVING ME FLIPPEN MADD!!! but i think im comparing the harlo 2007 productionv@ bondi and the movie directed by some guy called Elliot?? but still no real idea with what im doing yet**

im sure this was of no help 2 ya... but heck why not

Evercursed

Troubled Thinker
HSC
Thousand Acres, the adaptation of the novel by Jane Smiley can be used for feminism but you could basically tweak the Brookes to your advantage. Marxist elements are abound in almost every production. Especially Harlos, which stole every reading. Didn't work there sir. Noooo sir.

duckz

HSC
Evercursed, did you see the Harlos production where it has a Japanese setting? Clothings and such.

jingelz

HSC
please help me with it too.i have NO idea what im supposed to do with king lear apart from read it!

Hallatia

HSC
duckz said:
Evercursed, did you see the Harlos production where it has a Japanese setting? Clothings and such.
my class went and saw that one, we met the director afterwards and I had to meet the actors, that production was wierd a lot of bad acting lol. but it was an interesting adaptation, I spoke to the guys who played Kent and Edgar and they were telling me that the Japanese Fuedal thing was because of the culture and customs and the whole respect thing. Apparently the kimonos were also convenient. The wierd thing is although that production was not the bes, I really love the play.

There are some really famous Marxist and Feminist readings, our teacher provided them for us. I have a list, but it is not here with me, when I get home I will put them up

Hallatia

HSC
Kostinev's film is a Marxist adaptation and some marxist reading include those of Jonathon Dollimore, Terry Eagleton and Catherine Belsey

some feminist readings include those of Maralyn French, Catherine Belsey and Kathleen McLuskie

jcka89

HSC
guyysss can someone help me and tell me what the context is for Kozintsev. i seriously don't know what to talk about.

bigboss

HSC
N/A
Anyone know where 2 get good notes for parramatta riverside production :worried:

ITimber

HSC
bigboss said:
Anyone know where 2 get good notes for parramatta riverside production :worried:
You can't get notes on it. Best to go watch it at riverside or buy the dvd from riverside. If you go to www.smh.com.au there is an article on the riverside play but that won't give you much info. You really need to see it because there won't be any notes on the internet or in books unlike bigger productions

*miranda*

HSC
Is that the Kilmurry production that went on tour?
It was awesome! family reading to the max!

looie

HSC
duckz said:
I saw the Harlos production as well. We flew down to sydney from Ballina. Stayed one night at a youth hostel and saw the play, then flew home. I would have liked to see a bigger presentation with more conventional settings. The costumes were pretty boring, and how loud was the thunder scene?!!??!?? I was covering my ears, afraid of when the cracks would come. haha.

:eek:

dynam1c.c0urtz

HSC
lol our school decided to go see the harlos production on the same day as state of origin...final i think...so everyone was trying to find the score rather than listen to the play. the fool had some good things to say however, but it was slightly strange. apparently it has been performed better in better contexts in previous years. i remember something bout 2005 being the best

morganforrest

HSC
Kozintsev's production in 1971 of Korol Lir is excellent for Marxist interpretation
Kaut-Howsen's prduction produced a Cross Gender Feminist Psychoanalytical Absurdist production (King Lear is played by an actress)

I'm looking for a decent redemptive production (not Tate's)....help anyone??

frailene

HSC
i am having alot of trouble finding good notes on any feminist inclined productions of King Lear. could anyone help me? The clock is ticking!!!

N

Nicola1616

You don't just have to use productions do you? Cause "A THousand Acres' is a film - you can find some pretty comprehensive reviews and excerpts. I just googled it so you can have an outline - I think it's a great text to lead into a discussion of a feminist reading of Lear - especially that whole thing about needing to give goneril and regan a justifiable motive and them who is LEar and what's the point if he is just some old perv? Why bother I reckon. Anyway it's food for thought:

A Thousand Acres is a 1991 award winning novel by American author Jane Smiley. It won the 1992 Pulitzer Prize for Fiction and was adapted to a 1997 film of the same name.
The novel is a contemporary deconstruction of Shakespeare's King Lear and is set on a thousand acre (4 km²) farm in Iowa that is owned by a family of a father and his three daughters. It is told through the point of view of the oldest daughter, Ginny.
Contents

//
http://community.boredofstudies.org/
Plot summary

Larry Cook is an aging farmer who decides to incorporate his farm, handing complete and joint ownership to his three daughters, Ginny, Rose, and Caroline. When the youngest daughter objects, she is removed from the agreement. This sets off a chain of events that brings dark truths to light and explodes long-suppressed emotions, as the story eventually reveals the long-term sexual abuse of the two eldest daughters that was committed by their father.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)