• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Laptops for the HSC (1 Viewer)

harrisony

goodbye cruel world
HSC
N/A
from a technical point of view. semi-thin client machine with a battery, CLI text editor work recorded to a central server and a recorded to the hard drive of the machine it self, all actions are recorded. you have problems such as power outages although I honestly reckon I could whip up the design of the system in a day and implement it in a day or two.

It might be a disadvantage to those who can't type (I can type pretty quickly when I want to) although there are people that can't type at all, so what do you do with them. It's awkward

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
I head from a friend that this year might be the last year of handwritten HSC exams...
My teacher's are always saying that using our laptops won't help us for the HSC... haha.
I found this article:
Technology pushes HSC on to laptops
I believe the earliest trials are set for 2012 not 2011 so it would be the current Year 10s.

Personally I think it might be a year or two beyond that.

They are already doing marking online - with the markers reading the scripts on the screen and not in the booklets. The booklets are being scanned.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
from a technical point of view. semi-thin client machine with a battery, CLI text editor work recorded to a central server and a recorded to the hard drive of the machine it self, all actions are recorded. you have problems such as power outages although I honestly reckon I could whip up the design of the system in a day and implement it in a day or two.

It might be a disadvantage to those who can't type (I can type pretty quickly when I want to) although there are people that can't type at all, so what do you do with them. It's awkward
Hmm yes i was wondering about that too. Perhaps there'll be an option of doing the test handwrittten?

iRuler

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
One of my teachers said today that it might be implemented over the next five years, after it's made 'cheat proof'.

willma88

HSC
I heard when i was year 10 that they were going to scrap the school certificate. Still ended up doing it. I think it will be a while before this gets implimented...

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
and then having to invest thousands of dollars into making sure these computers work, aren't laggy, have no viruses, won't be hacked, etc... during the hsc will be hard.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)