late round offer question (2 Viewers)

quas

HSC
So I just received my main round offers and I got accepted into my first preference which is IT/ laws at macquarie. But during the time between 3-16 Jan, I've been thinking of doing IT / Commerce at Usyd which I had listed as my second preference. My atar was 94.8 and IT/Commerce is listed as 95 cut-off as of 2013 but there are still vacancies. What are the chances of me making it into the late round? Also, do I also have a shot at combined commerce at unsw if I have 5 bonus points?

quas

HSC
No u got it wrong. I got accepted into macquarie law but I changed my mind and I wanna do comm/IT instead which currently has vacancies. My altar is 0.2 below the cut-off

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Yes, so you'd switch your preferences to get in on the next round.

Problem is that next round, cut-offs change. And for Comm/IT which I'm assuming is very popular, the cut-off is most likely going to rise. So you're probably not going to get in.

That's why you have like two or three months to finalise your preferences to make sure they're all right and good to go when offers come out because it's very difficult to get into your course if you stuff up your ordering.

quas

HSC
Shitcakes

But what if they have vacancies? (V)

Does that mean ppl with lower scores can get in? Isn't that the point of vacancies? Cos I misunderstood how preferences worked...

I'm not sure if the course is popular since it still has vacancies..

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
If they have vacancies, then the cut-offs may lower. It's still a lottery.

So just do what you want, fix your preferences and hope for the best.

If not, and you still want Comm/IT, start making plans to transfer in.

quas

HSC
hmm shadowdude u seem very knowledgeable.

Do u think an IT/law degree at macquarie is better or combined commerce and IT at usyd? (since I like doing IT)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)