• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Latham's illness (7 Viewers)

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well have to say i only noticed latham's absence from the comment on the Tsunami on January 5 when Labor actually told us where he was. Apparently sick again. But now there are newspaper reports saying he was at a resort. Now if he is well enough to go to a resort he is surely well enough to issue a statement on the matter.

And just imagine if the Australian people elected him? A prime minister in bed while all this is happening?

I personally think Latham's days are numbered. ANd you would be absoultely crazy to want the position of Labor Leader, as the party falls into greater irrelevance.

This is a very good article i found in the Sun- Herald

The deafening silence that could cost a learder dearly

Mark Latham’s disappearance during the crisis hasn’t impressed colleagues and has made his hold on Labor’s leadership even more shaky. Frank Walker writes.

Labor Mps are not impressed with Mark Latham’s disappearance during the tsunami crisis. As one Labor strategist said bitterly last week “Mate, if he’s well enough to see a doctor, he’s well enough to issue a bloody statement saying he’s sorry for the victims’ and their families”
His silence since the Boxing Day disaster has been an extraordinary lapse and one that could prove very costly for the Labor leader
It was only after journalists started asking midweek where Latham was and why he hadn’t said anything about the tsunami that the county learnt he was suffering from a second bout if of acute pancreatis.
The acting Labor leader, Chris Evans, a little- known West Australian senator, said he understood Latham had been struck down 10 days earlier, which meant he would have been hit with the tummy trouble about the same time as the tsunami hit Asia.
But Latham’s own staff are confused about exactly when he was struck down.
Last weekend his chief press secretary, Glenn Byers, rang a reporter after learning she was writing a story critical of Latham’s silence since the Tsunami.
Byers demanded to know who in the Labor party was speaking against their leader. The reporter naturally refused to say, but Byers made no mention of any illness.
On Friday another Latham press Secretary, Ann Clark, told me Latham was struck down with pancreatis “probably a week ago”.
That would have been December 31, five days after the Tsunami. But his spokesman back-pedalled when it was pointed out that according to her information, Latham must have been well on Boxing Day and for the following four days, as the death toll rose to 100,000.
“I am not exactly sure of the date [he fell ill]” Clark responded.
“HE was on leave at the time and Jenny Macklin was acting leader and she made the statement on behalf of the party on December 31.”
Clark said Latham has suddenly developed symptoms similar to those he’d had during his attack of pancreatis in August and he went straight to his doctor and so was able to avoid going to hospital, she said Latham was ordered to bed and told not to work.
“They are doing a series of testes to find the cause, but they have ruled out cancer.”
“He didn’t issue a statement about the tsunami personally because he was under strict doctor’s orders. He is not to do any work at all,” Clark said.
She said Latham would not return to work until the scheduled January 26.
Labor Mps are furious. “He doesn’t have to get out of bed to have his staff draft a message of sympathy and issue it,” said a senior Labor figure, who did not want to be named.
Labor MPs are even more angry that they too were kept in the dark about the reoccurrence of Latham’s pancreatis.
Labor’s foreign Affairs spokesman Kevin Rudd, who interrupted his holidays after the tsunami, was clearly unhappy with his leader’s absence when he told ABC radio on Wednesday that no, he hadn’t spoken to Latham, but the leader had confidence in his senior frontbenchers to say what was necessary.
Senator Chris Evans took over as acting leader from Macklin in January 1 and a few days later admitted most of Labor’s senior MPs only learnt of Latham’s illness from the media on Wednesday.
Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer took the government’s one and only swing at the missing Latham and landed a cracker. As he was about to fly to Phuket on Monday, Downer said he had offered Latham a briefing on the extent of the disaster and government aid but he had not accepted it.
Evans said Rudd had been getting the briefings and passing them on to Latham. That must be difficult, as Rudd said on Wednesday he had not spoken to Latham.

Latham’s personal polling has fallen even further since his disastrous election result, one poll showed only 28 per cent of Australians wanted Latham as Labor leader. Satisfaction with Latham has fallen to his lowest ever as leader at 34 per cent, and 50 per cent of those polled, were dissatisfied.
If a poll was taken now, Latham would be lucky to get even those figures. Prime minister, John Howard is now leading the world on meeting the Tsunami crisis with a $1 billion aid offer, and has responded to the disaster superbly and with compassion
Unhappy Labor MPs such as Bob McMullan gave Latham until February to improve. Others signalled he had until the middle of the year. His illness is unlikely to save him from those critical of him.
The tsunami’s last victim might be a man who was never even there.

Generator

HSC
N/A
Now if he is well enough to go to a resort he is surely well enough to issue a statement on the matter.
Not necessarily. Resting beside a pool at a resort with your kids is not that different to sitting out in the backyard, don't you think? Without knowing the full-story, I cannot say much more on the matter other than that it does seem strange. Still, as I said in another thread, Latham and the ALP cannot do much beyond talk at the current time, can they?

The ALP is far from falling into greater irrelevance. I don't know where that comment came from.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Well yes, but as the article points out, it dosent takke much for latham to get his satff to write something on his behalf?

and yes Latham sucks.....lol

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Hmmm well the rumors are going around....some are saying that Latham may step down sometime this week. I doubt it and honestly dont want to see it *wants to see labor die a slow painful death* lol

Ziff

HSC
N/A
I want Latham to wiggle his penis at the Liberals when he gives his resignation speech in Parliament soon :p

K

katie_tully

Didn't he have some issue with his appendix? Don't take everything the SMH regurgitates, Latham being the sissy, bleeding heart liberal he is wouldn't have missed an opportunity to lick international arse without a good reason.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
You can tell Rudd has the ambition for the top job....and well i think he will do alot better than latham

LadyBec

KISSmeCHASY
HSC
Generator said:
Not necessarily. Resting beside a pool at a resort with your kids is not that different to sitting out in the backyard, don't you think? Without knowing the full-story, I cannot say much more on the matter other than that it does seem strange. Still, as I said in another thread, Latham and the ALP cannot do much beyond talk at the current time, can they?

The ALP is far from falling into greater irrelevance. I don't know where that comment came from.
completly agree.
Although if (please lord no) Latham does happen to loose the leadership, I think both Rudd and Macklin could do a good job... I've met both and they really impressed me.

As for McMullan he should shut the fuck up. There is nothing I hate more then party members who run to the press at ever opportunity, and to be honest if he gave a damn about the labor cause he would realise what a stupid idea doing that is. How are people gonna support the party if half of it can't even pretend(he doesnt even really need to in private) to support it's leader.

that stupid quote thing hates me...

Last edited:

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I think Macklin is a bit of a tard. I like that other female front-bencher though, the old minister for health. She kicks ass.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
We dont get that chance untill 2007...but by then NSW will be completley stuffed.

And well, labor will be more irrelevant this parliamentary term. The coalition will gain control of the senate....and well basically can do what they want. Its up to Labor to make sure they cant do whatever they please and well having a silent leader isnt exactly going to help labor.

Lorie

HSC
who really cares about the opposition leader at this time. Ok yeah he might be sick, and thats no good, he should be resting with his family, and he is on holidays. Why does everyone suddenly expect him to suddenly do something after this crisis in Asia. If they really wanted him to do something, he wouldn't be the opposition leader. The Prime minister is the person who should be working on behalf of Australia and thats what his job is. We don't see the opposition leader of other nations prancing around making decesions about this. I think people are expecting 2 much of a man who isn't well at the moment, we should be looking at those in the role, not the shadow roles.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
Yes well the opposition is meant to show that they are a viable alternative.

One unamed labor backbencher has been quoted as saying " Latham and the labor party is commiting a slow and depressing suicide"

Not-That-Bright

Andrew Quah
HSC
Lorie, even if he is the leader of the opposition it's quite possible that he could of been the PM right now.
Would the same thing be happening if he was pm? Would we have a PM in a luxury resort resting his illness on holidays with his family, too lazy to even make a short statement?

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
They did say that the Mark Latham who was on holidays had short hair - while the Mark Latham in the hospital room photo on the front of the Daily Telegraph still had relatively long hair. Somehow I get the feeling it's a case of mistaken identity.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 7)