law at unsw or macquarie (1 Viewer)

kingpalindrome

HSC
I've got offers for both Macquarie and UNSW arts/law but I'm in a proper conundrum about what to choose.

I'm not wanting to be an actual lawyer as much as I want to work in international law (ngos and whatnot) so I'm not looking for "what uni will make people hire me to defend them" kind of stuff.

Each uni has their pros and their cons:

Macquarie:
Pros:
- close (20 minute commute)
- pretty much the default uni for people from my school, lots of friends going there
- Heard the social studies aspect of their law is really good (ie they realise not everyone wants to use their law degree to practice law)
- I've been involved in a lot of stuff at Macquarie (emerging leaders, various forums etc) so I feel like I've already got a connection to it
- campus is pretty
- I've read a fair number of research papers on international law published by professors who teach classes there that I've found very interesting

Cons:
- less prestigious/academically renowned (not that important for me)

UNSW
Pros:
-I got a really high LAT score (99th percentile) which feels like an indication that I'd thrive in their style of law
- they seem to have a pretty established international law route (particularly refugee/humanitarian law) with a lot of research published
- the Kaldor Centre for refugee law operates at unsw

Cons:
- long commute (1 hour 30 min each way)
- don't really know anyone going there
- heard some not great things about the culture at unsw

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give particularly if you've gone to either mq or unsw

Lana bananana

HSC
go unsw, regardless of what type of law you going for, it’s better in my opinion- even going for ngos it still matters
Guys, I really need your help. To preface this, I have received an offer from USYD for bachelor of Law/Arts. I have a similar question - for the same kind of future career @kingpalindrome is interested in (not big firms, more NGO social justice style of career), do you think UNSW or USYD is more suitable? Does it really matter between these two? I know UNSW has more electives pertaining to international law and human rights, but they are offered irregularly apparently. Whereas USYD still has electives of this sort, but not as many (and maybe not as hands on), that are permanently available. Do you think one might prime me better than the other for that sort of career? I am so torn between the two because I love USYD for its art degree (which would be the other half of my degree) and opportunity within this to be a Dayllel Scholar, thus enhancing the practicality and opportunities of an arts degree, as opposed to UNSW who really doesn't have the same facilities in this area. I just want to make the best possible decision that I won't regret given that social justice is my passion above all (even the arts aspects of my interests) - especially assisting refugees in Australia given my previous interactions with refugees from across Asia through a program I did in school.

mmmmmmmmaaaaaaa

HSC
Guys, I really need your help. To preface this, I have received an offer from USYD for bachelor of Law/Arts. I have a similar question - for the same kind of future career @kingpalindrome is interested in (not big firms, more NGO social justice style of career), do you think UNSW or USYD is more suitable? Does it really matter between these two? I know UNSW has more electives pertaining to international law and human rights, but they are offered irregularly apparently. Whereas USYD still has electives of this sort, but not as many (and maybe not as hands on), that are permanently available. Do you think one might prime me better than the other for that sort of career? I am so torn between the two because I love USYD for its art degree (which would be the other half of my degree) and opportunity within this to be a Dayllel Scholar, thus enhancing the practicality and opportunities of an arts degree, as opposed to UNSW who really doesn't have the same facilities in this area. I just want to make the best possible decision that I won't regret given that social justice is my passion above all (even the arts aspects of my interests) - especially assisting refugees in Australia given my previous interactions with refugees from across Asia through a program I did in school.
If usyd is more interesting because of the arts degree/dalyell scholar, go for that. If you have a choice between unsw and usyd law, although there isn’t much difference, I would go usyd

Robert21

HSC
I've got offers for both Macquarie and UNSW arts/law but I'm in a proper conundrum about what to choose.

I'm not wanting to be an actual lawyer as much as I want to work in international law (ngos and whatnot) so I'm not looking for "what uni will make people hire me to defend them" kind of stuff.

Each uni has their pros and their cons:

Macquarie:
Pros:
- close (20 minute commute)
- pretty much the default uni for people from my school, lots of friends going there
- Heard the social studies aspect of their law is really good (ie they realise not everyone wants to use their law degree to practice law)
- I've been involved in a lot of stuff at Macquarie (emerging leaders, various forums etc) so I feel like I've already got a connection to it
- campus is pretty
- I've read a fair number of research papers on international law published by professors who teach classes there that I've found very interesting

Cons:
- less prestigious/academically renowned (not that important for me)

UNSW
Pros:
-I got a really high LAT score (99th percentile) which feels like an indication that I'd thrive in their style of law
- they seem to have a pretty established international law route (particularly refugee/humanitarian law) with a lot of research published
- the Kaldor Centre for refugee law operates at unsw

Cons:
- long commute (1 hour 30 min each way)
- don't really know anyone going there
- heard some not great things about the culture at unsw

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give particularly if you've gone to either mq or unsw
Have you asked Mike for his opinion on this matter?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)