• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law of conservation (1 Viewer)

Vinneh

I live in the 5 minutes between waking up in bliss
HSC
Ah, Hello all, I havent posted in a long time and this question just came to my mind--
If fission results in a slight mass loss (in the form of energy), does this mean the law of conservation doesnt apply?
And, if it does, then when we mix any two chemicals and heat (or anything for that matter) is produced, shouldnt those weights be wrong too?

angmor

momentica-one.deviantart.
HSC
law of conservation of what? energy or mass? in both cases, the law of conservation is still applied because mass is converted into energy. E=mc<sup>2</sup> where m is the mass defect, or the missing mass that occurs when fission happens.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Vinneh said:
Ah, Hello all, I havent posted in a long time and this question just came to my mind--
If fission results in a slight mass loss (in the form of energy), does this mean the law of conservation doesnt apply?
And, if it does, then when we mix any two chemicals and heat (or anything for that matter) is produced, shouldnt those weights be wrong too?
The Law of Conservation of Energy still applies in this case because Energy is not created nor destroyed just converted. Binding Energy is part of the Strong Nuclear Force and thus involves the conversion of mass to energy.

However, when mixing chemicals, you are converting potential chemical energy to kinetic (essentially heat) energy. Therefore, the masses will not differ.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)