law students (1 Viewer)

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
yes, you.
i need some help please!
i have to do an essay about copyright law and how it affects architecture.

i have kind of missed the last 2 lectures on law..so would anyone be able to tell me what is the difference between Tort and Statute law..?

also, i have heard of a site which is a database for lots of legal cases. would anyone know the address to this site?

thanks heaps in advance :)

santaslayer

HSC
there is a huge differerence b/t tort and statute

statute is an act of parliament.........parliament made legialation

torts are civil wrongs arnt they?

maybe u were referring to common law and statute?

Ribbon

ANU subscribes to all the legal databases online so they are all free to us :)

The terms 'tort law' and 'statute law' are not on the same line of thought...

Statute law is, as someone said, law passed by parliaments (legislation). This is opposed to the other major type of law which is common (often referred to as 'case') law. This is the law of precedent under the docterine of stare decisis (pronounced 'starri') where the ratio decendi of each case becomes legally binding on all courts lower in the hierachy than the court in which the decision is made.

'Tort law' is the name for the law under which civil wrongs which are not covered by contract law can be bought. Most prominently it includes negligence and trespass. Its important to note that while legislations has recently been introduced in NSW and the ACT covering negligence, tort law is still primarily governed by common law (which may be where your confusion between statute and common law come from?). Tort is a category of law, where statute and common are sources of law. Other categories are, for example, criminal law, corporations law, contract law ect.

Hope that helps...

also if you miss out on lectures... doesn't your uni tape them so you can listen to them later if you miss them?

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
thanks ribbon.
well no it's definitely tort law, as the lecturer has written that on the assignment sheet. if tort covers trespass and negligence, that definitely applies to architecture, and copyright is statute law i gather.

hahah well my class is around 40 people big so they don't bother taping lectures or even putting up lecture notes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)