• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Law studies (1 Viewer)

lil-gal-24

HSC
Hey!
I was just wondering what studying law is like and if the univeristy you go to matters in the legal profession.

Opinions?

subdued123

HSC
In response...

Studying law is fun. Do you like reading cases? Are you good at writing? Do you speak well? If you, you will like law.

University does not matter so much. Work hard and you'll get anywhere. Just ask Susan Kiefel.

Don't waste your time listening to what others day. Do what feels right.

And wear sunscreen.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Law is a hideous bitch that will relentlessly fuck you until you love it. With one hand it will show you glory and untold riches, and with the other it will crush your hopes and dreams into coal.

Law will step a boot upon your screaming face and push you down beneath the waves to drown, choke, and succumb to the ceaseless smothering cruelty always threatening to steal into our lungs and extinguish the dim light that each of us represents in the vast tapestry of unending black that is law school.

And no, the university you study at doesn't matter. Nothing matters when you're perpetually drunk so as to numb the empty pain of the thirty years of servitude that a law degree grants you access to.

subdued123

HSC
what hfis really means is:

the girls are hot, but the guys are ugly so don't do it if you expect to meet beautiful people.

And the pay is not bad, but you could do better.

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Oh yeah, I love law. I just think I might love it in the 'I love Big Brother' sense.

I will also second that the girls in law are on average 30% hotter than the girls in other faculties, with the possible exception of education.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Its something most love to hate...its hard work but worth in when youn finally understand something, can solve a complex problem question or whoop someone's arse in mooting.

Its a long haul though, if you are just doing it to not 'waste' your UAI don't you can make money in other things that take longer and it will cost you less.

I'm investing ridiculous amounts in my education.

If you love language, arguing, finding loop holes, problem solving, talking, reading and/or findinfg the humour in funny but dry cases then law is for you.

My b/f a fellow law student says the chicks are hot but I think he's a bit biased ;)

UWS has some hot guys...mac isnt too bad either but if you want some action law school at least at UWS/ MQ is made up of 30-40% guys and 60-70% women.

Last edited:

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
subdued123 said:
Work hard and you'll get anywhere. Just ask Susan Kiefel
my dear friend, i've always wondered about this...

my jaded, cynical reply (having been rejected last year by what feels like most of the legal profession) to your comment is that - for every Justice Kiefel, there are thousands of law students, little idealistic boys and girls, walking along with empty hands in empty pockets along the boulevard of broken dreams...

i concur with hfis' first post.

Last edited:

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
hfis said:
Oh yeah, I love law. I just think I might love it in the 'I love Big Brother' sense.

I will also second that the girls in law are on average 30% hotter than the girls in other faculties, with the possible exception of education.
It is an amazing feat, especially at UOW anyway. At last count i heard theres a 70:30 female:male ratio and I love it!

Strawbaby

General Store
HSC
hfis said:
Law is a hideous bitch that will relentlessly fuck you until you love it. With one hand it will show you glory and untold riches, and with the other it will crush your hopes and dreams into coal.
Don't think this isn't true, OP.
I love law school but at the same time, I'd rather be anywhere else, not getting crushed by the combined weight of it all.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
If you love people and naturally trust and have faith in everyone you meet, don't do it. You'll meet selfish greedy backstabbing monsters that will stomp on you and anyone else that gets in their way in the blink of an eye. Do something else and stay the way you are.

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
dissipate said:
If you love people and naturally trust and have faith in everyone you meet, don't do it. You'll meet selfish greedy backstabbing monsters that will stomp on you and anyone else that gets in their way in the blink of an eye. Do something else and stay the way you are.
Such bullshit! This idea of law school eating away your soul and people being highly competitive. Whilst some people are competitive, it really depends what you want out of the degree. There is still a tonne of people who just go andcome home, hand in the assignments/do the readings and that is the extent of their personal involvement. Many people, particularly graduates in other disciplines are just getting an extra qualification. These people often are married/have families and are working and are also way too mature or could not be fucked to even get involved in the minute amount of bitching/competitiveness that goes on.

*I love people and have found the people extremely friendly and nice. Second to that, i also do commerce and find that people in law are generally more social and actually enjoy getting out and having a good time outside of uni- ie clubbing and stuff.

dissipate

HSC
N/A
Cookie182 said:
Such bullshit! This idea of law school eating away your soul and people being highly competitive. Whilst some people are competitive, it really depends what you want out of the degree. There is still a tonne of people who just go andcome home, hand in the assignments/do the readings and that is the extent of their personal involvement. Many people, particularly graduates in other disciplines are just getting an extra qualification. These people often are married/have families and are working and are also way too mature or could not be fucked to even get involved in the minute amount of bitching/competitiveness that goes on.

*I love people and have found the people extremely friendly and nice. Second to that, i also do commerce and find that people in law are generally more social and actually enjoy getting out and having a good time outside of uni- ie clubbing and stuff.
Well I'm glad you're enjoying law school and like the people at law school. I certainly wish I could trade places with you and not have to experience what I wrote above. Hell how would you feel if people hid books and ripped pages out of them to prevent other people from getting to them? Or if people at your university paid other people to write assignments for them? Or if people kept asking you for notes and you give them what you have, and when you ask them for some notes they send you crap ones or conveniently forget to send it to you? Or if people skipped lectures for no good reason at all and kept bugging you for lecture notes just because they know you always attend? Or if people look down and make fun of your friend because she doesn't want to be a bigshot commercial lawyer but wants to go into human rights? Bullshit huh.

But yes the grad students - how could I forget? Those that have worked for awhile and that are married and have families are generally nice. But those who started law right after they graduated are still stuck in that competitive mode. The countless times I've been screwed over... even by grad students.

doink

Clone
HSC
You should consider what its like after you graduate since school is only 4-5 years but the career is for your life.

lil-gal-24

HSC
subdued123 said:
In response...

Studying law is fun. Do you like reading cases? Are you good at writing? Do you speak well? If you, you will like law.

University does not matter so much. Work hard and you'll get anywhere. Just ask Susan Kiefel.

Don't waste your time listening to what others day. Do what feels right.

And wear sunscreen.
Lolz thanks for the reply. To all your questions it's a big fat YES. I love legal studies and the whole legal justice system- it just presses all the right buttons for me

lil-gal-24

HSC
Hey guys!

Thanks for all the replies, it was very... entertaining lolz-definately gave both sides of the srguement here.

In response to my own question- i asked my legal studies teacher who did a law degree and she told me that the university you go to is very important and that when it comes to law it isn't what you know but its who you know.

As for my own motives for doing law, i havn't thought about what i would do with the law degree but i know without a doubt that studying law at university would be a dream come true for me- only because i just find legal studies the most interesting thing i have ever come across (along with modern history, english and art theory).

I am suprised at the girl to guy ratio though because i have always thought law was a predominatly male degree. Nonetheless i'm not disappointed because boys is not the reason i want to do law (LMAO!Who does that?!)

It is interesting to hear about how aggressive law can be but honestly i'm not suprised. I heard that it can be full of very pretensious people and what do you expect really? Honestly reading all the posts just makes me want to law even more!

I was flipping between medicine and law, both very competitive, strenous courses so i wasn't never expecting either to be roses and daisys. I think i'm leaning towards law now though but i still have to wait for my UMAT score.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)