Lecturers not using lecture notes (1 Viewer)

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
I had a lecture today for Law of Business Organisations. The lecturer did not use any lecture notes. He just talked, so i had to write whatever he said.

After the lecture, I asked him if he will be using any lecture notes to explain the content. He said no. WTF????

This is a level 2 subject and the lecturer has an accent.

Has this happened to anyone before?

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I haven't had this before, but I've had lecturers just use overheads with small writing cause they can't use a computer, so I couldn't read the writing.

Do you have a textbook for this subject? If so, it will greatly help in understanding the content.

Argh! the accents piss me off, I spend so much time concentrating just to understand what they say, that I don't hear what they say half the time.

Just try and jot down the key points that your lecturer mentions and then fix your lecture notes up later, after you do some wide reading.

Demandred

HSC
I just hope that the lecture notes for macroeconomics will make up for our lecturer's accent. She's a highly qualified and regarded doctor, but she can't teach! (IMO of course).

Grizzly

euphoric
HSC
You will find these lectures the best.

No notes, will force you to
1. pay attention (listen) and attend your class.
2. Make notes during the lect.
3. ask questions.

L

LaraB

Grizzly said:

3. ask questions.
exactly:)

if you're that worried about it, bring a recorder and tape the lecture so you can go thru it again at home..

but if everyone's in the same position as you it shouldn't matter coz everyone will be having the same dificulties...
and besides, webct etc is in a way relatively new - plenty of people made it thru uni in 'note-less' lectures with dodgy accents before so you'll be fine:)

i don't understand why everyone gets so stressed that a subject is level 200/300 etc... im apparently doing a level 200 unit, didn't even know til they told us, but its no hrader than the other units... if you don't assume it's gonna be harder it's less likely you'll get so overwhelmed by it.... obviously if they give harder units its coz they think people can handle em coz if we all fail the uni wil look bad:p

EDIT: it will also mean people will actually do all the readings (coz most people seem to not do them) which, if you do them, you should already know what's going to be discussed anyways.. lectures are in a way meant to be an overview and explanationo f the stuff you're already meant to have read

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Grizzly said:

3. ask questions.
shhh you :p No one asked for your opinion ... go back to UNSW :p

Stalker!!!

Rayanaldo

HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
I just hope that the lecture notes for macroeconomics will make up for our lecturer's accent. She's a highly qualified and regarded doctor, but she can't teach! (IMO of course).
Is it Samanthala Hettihewa?

I had her last semester for Introductory Economics.

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
LaraB said:
i don't understand why everyone gets so stressed that a subject is level 200/300 etc... im apparently doing a level 200 unit, didn't even know til they told us, but its no hrader than the other units... if you don't assume it's gonna be harder it's less likely you'll get so overwhelmed by it.... obviously if they give harder units its coz they think people can handle em coz if we all fail the uni wil look bad:p
On the outside it may seem the same. But you really have to go indepth in the assignments. I'm doing a level 300 subject this semester, and my assignment has to be a total of 3 pages long! And its not allowed to be any longer. However, this other 200 subject that I am doing, the assignments have to be presented as if you were in a government department. Level 200 and level 300 force you to critically analyse the questions being asked, and you need to back it up, with not just one source, but perhaps two or three as well as statistics.

Demandred

HSC
Matma Chowdhury. I thought we had the other Chowdhury whose credentials goes over a mile long (married couple perhaps?).

HSC
Demandred said:
Yep, the trouble wasn't with the content - it was her darn accent and the speed that she went through the Powerpoint Slides! By the end of my business degree I'll probably be able to speak a second language.

theone123

blue essence
HSC
Rayanaldo said:
I had a lecture today for Law of Business Organisations. The lecturer did not use any lecture notes. He just talked, so i had to write whatever he said.

After the lecture, I asked him if he will be using any lecture notes to explain the content. He said no. WTF????

This is a level 2 subject and the lecturer has an accent.

Has this happened to anyone before?
u shudnt be doing LOBO that early...

theone123

blue essence
HSC
natstar said:
I had her in first year too. She was so up herself I though, cuz she liked to boast about her qualifications and it pissed me off
arrogant it is, maybe cuz she does have that credentials and she was one of the co authors of that Eco Principles txtbook

L

LaraB

Cape said:
On the outside it may seem the same. But you really have to go indepth in the assignments. I'm doing a level 300 subject this semester, and my assignment has to be a total of 3 pages long! And its not allowed to be any longer. However, this other 200 subject that I am doing, the assignments have to be presented as if you were in a government department. Level 200 and level 300 force you to critically analyse the questions being asked, and you need to back it up, with not just one source, but perhaps two or three as well as statistics.
but that's my point though...

all my units require you to analyse questions in depth and back it up with dozen minimum sources..that's what's needed just to pass...

i don't know of any unit i have done/do/will do where anything less than an indepth analysis is acceptable... regardless of level all my units have sa a basis indepth analysis just to pass the course more or less...

so i still don't see how its so much more difficult coz all teh stuff everyone's said is harder is just what i see in my units anyways..

our lecturer said the unit is a level 2 coz it's a business subject but entails law stuff therefore it's usually too hard for us to grasp... so i don't get that since law is a course offered n the stuff we're doin in this course is equivalent to level 1 law stuff...

so yeah.. what i meant more is that it seems to be relative to the unit and your expectations as far as the characteristiucs of a level 2 or 3 unit seem to be just what all my units are....

just being a level higher won't necessarily mean its harder...especially since by the time you get to higher level units generally you've had more experience at uni and have more core knowledge and feedback from prior tasks so its just as difficult as the 1st units you did when you got to uni and had no idea how to do anything and didn't know anything

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LaraB

natstar said:
Why are you doing a level 2 in first year? Is it a 1st year core or an elective. Im so glad that all my lectures/tutors are Australian/English
it's a core unit for 1st yr for Business(HRM&IR),.. don't do any electives til 4th year...

i dunno why, i don't really care which is why i don't get why everyone complains about having level 2 or 3 subjects.. its not really any harder or anything.. if anything its easier than myother business unit which is level 1.... didn't think it was a big deal since we didn't even know til we got to the 1st lecture and when we were told everyone was just like meh...ok... 0 care factor...

you should be happy you're given the chance to do so called harder subjects - means you'll be more qualified to be hired once you leave uni and means you won't have gotten thru on a minimalist level

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
Well, I have noticed that say level 200 subjects ask, stuff like, using a variety of resources define nature based tourism.

However, level 300 subjects (for example, this is an assignment I have to do this semester): The application of te Visitor Impact Management framework begins with the identification of a "wildlife tourism problem" to be followed by an anlysis of the real and potential causes of the "problem" and the determination of appropriate management strategy / strategies to remedy the "problem". Have your study area approved by the unit coordinator before conducting your research.

Obviously, level 200 and 300 from my experience actually require you to do some sort of action plans.

But this may vary between disicplines.

I also did 3 level 200 subjects in first year.

L

LaraB

Cape said:
Well, I have noticed that say level 200 subjects ask, stuff like, using a variety of resources define nature based tourism.

However, level 300 subjects (for example, this is an assignment I have to do this semester): The application of te Visitor Impact Management framework begins with the identification of a "wildlife tourism problem" to be followed by an anlysis of the real and potential causes of the "problem" and the determination of appropriate management strategy / strategies to remedy the "problem". Have your study area approved by the unit coordinator before conducting your research.

Obviously, level 200 and 300 from my experience actually require you to do some sort of action plans.

But this may vary between disicplines.

I also did 3 level 200 subjects in first year.
that's what i meant though - its just your expectations coz obviously not everyone gets totally put off by em...

and as i said - i've already seen questions and similar assessment styles as that in my 1st semester so obviously it differs depnding on the course... so what i was getting at is saying it requires in depth analysis, evidencing through sources etc doesn't necessarily make it harder coz that's what was expected of us in our level 100 stuff anyways to pass...

like i mean, my level 100 unit for business involves us being given a shitload of random obscure info about a pretend 'hotel" then us creating and entire evidenced and argued business plan for the R&S, allocation of funds and jobs, HRM plans fo rth next 5 years etc etc... but the level 200 one is just an essay equivalent to somethin like... "Which “system” of industrial relations is better suited to resolve workplace conflict and disputes: conciliation and arbitration or enterprise based bargaining? Why? How? " which is way way way easier and more straightforward and involves less research - only 8 references 'required' that kinda thing...

so all i was gettin at is yeah i get that they're meant to be harder but i just wanna know reasons other than what people gave coz to me, that's what my l evel 1 units require so like... if level 2 and 3 are meant to be harder, what's gonna be in them if whatpeople are ssayingdifferentiates level 1 from 2 or 3 is what i'm seein in level 1 units already as a bare miniumum requirement?

= Jennifer =

HSC
Italian Hotshot said:
Yep, the trouble wasn't with the content - it was her darn accent and the speed that she went through the Powerpoint Slides! By the end of my business degree I'll probably be able to speak a second language.

bhahaha if only the rep system was alive and well :(

Printmaker

HSC
N/A
I think having someone you need to really need to listen to sometimes is a good thing because it makes you pay attention but if you really need help and are finding things difficult because of language barriers and so on there is a student helpline number you can call- 9852 5470

HSC
i slept in and didnt go to uni today :( i only had one lecture anyway for psychology 1B, but i just picked up the unit so that means i have missed the first two lectures, notes are up on webCT anyway, so it dont REALLY matter eh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)